Monday, September 9, 2013

Toot, toot, eight


Riding the rails

Or

Riding the Rails



Great disappointment, we couldn’t even get off the train in Columbus, Ohio.  We took on fuel and were out of there.  It would have been lovely, while in Ohio, if I could have taken my friends to meet my cousin Vivian, but you have to go where the rails take you, and so a visit with her was not possible.

So, we chugged along to our next stop, Pittsburgh, PA.  We will be there for a while, and will have some time to eat and at least get some shopping done.  I have been to Pittsburgh many, many times, and kind of feel a pull on the old heart strings. 
 
Since Pittsburgh is our last stop before our destination we decided to stick together.  Our first stop was Cherries Diner for lunch, which was delicious.  I had a “Big Bill”, my first Philly Cheesesteak sandwich of the trip.  Prices very reasonable by the way.   Then we strolled around Market Square to get the feel of Pittsburgh, and simply to get some exercise for us and our four legged creatures.   Unfortunately we were not watching the time and...we...almost...missed our train. 

Believe me it is not a pretty sight watching a bunch of people in various stages of Senior Citizen-ness stumbling, and bumbling through a Railroad Yard with our ’bindles’ making clunking sounds as we run.  If indeed you could call what we were doing running.  Remember, we are supposed to be as inconspicuous as possible, blending in…  At this point we are not even looking for our regular car, but for one whose door is open.  Tall dude was the first to spy one, and leaped onboard.  Followed by Rosy (I’m still amazed how-for her size-she can be so agile) and Marie.  Linda is next, and I’m in awe of the ease she had swinging herself into the car.  Vince and I are the caboose of this train, and I hate to admit that by now we are both puffing and huffing like a steam engine.  The train lurched and,...oh...my...gosh...it’s moving. 

This is not good, and I have the horrible flash back from when I was a kid and I tried to get myself onto the back of a moving hay wagon.  I was sooo not good at that.  I remember grasping handfuls of hay, only to have them fall away and I would stumble and almost fall.  Oh yes, this train was moving, and to make matters worse, I see two men, at the engine end of the train pointing at me.  Tall Dude is waving violently...I scoop up Zorro and throw him through the open door.  I make a grab for Tall Dude’s hand...and miss...please train...don’t pick up speed.  My second attempt was better, I almost made it.  The two men are on the move.

My third attempt, ugly as it was, was successful, and I can feel hands grab me by the waist and haul me in.  “Close the door, close the door” scream the women.  Good thinking, perhaps the two men will not recognize the car we are in, plus the train is moving more quickly, I think we made it.

New York City...

HERE WE COME.

No comments:

Post a Comment