Monday, April 7, 2014

Happy Birthday

I meant to write yesterday, I truly did, but somehow the day slipped away.  Actually the whole weekend passed by much, much too quickly. 

I've been working hard finishing up designs of pillows for my store, and then started work on some towels for the kitchen.  Once the juices get flowing I'm always amazed had how quickly the time goes by.  I didn't get to bed Saturday night till almost 2 AM. 

Saturday was also filled with chores, especially laundry.  I still can't figure out how one Old Woman can accumulate so much of it. I've even taken to leaving the lid off my hamper because by the end of some weeks I can't keep it shut.  Go figure. 

Then, I started out working bright and early yesterday morning, went straight from feeding the creatures to my office...didn't even get dressed.  In a blink of an eye it was after 11, and I discovered I hadn't eaten, showered or anything else for that matter.  The TV was on, and old time shows were playing in the background, when I heard a commercial that the afternoon was going to be filled with a series of shows called
Doris Day Day in honor of her ninetieth birthday.  What?  Oh, my!  I had better get my butt in gear.  I wanted to watch that.

Doris was always one of my favorites, I thought she had a lovely voice, although mostly she was known for her delightful films in which she co-starred with Rock Hudson and Tony Randall.  However, I confess I didn't really know about her television show (I think because my dad called the shots when it came to what we watched) so when I heard about the up coming miniseries I knew I was going to have to round up some snacks, and something to drink and 'sit a spell'. 

Oh, it was a lovely day, and I probably should have been outside soaking up the sun, but frankly, the lure of an afternoon with Doris was a much more attractive
possibility.  And turns out it was.  The afternoon was filled with whimsy, love and laughter as she sauntered through various plots trying to survive as a widow raising two boys along the way.

It turns out she was the 'forerunner' of 'liberated women' carving the path through a new and uncharted jungle.  Women no longer had to wear an apron and push a vacuum cleaner around, they could actually have careers.  Ohhhhhh, and she did it with grace and style (Style, not in just the way a person can do things, but with style) the kind you wear.  Boy, could she wear fashion she was gorgeous in everything.  I LOVED THAT WOMAN.  I tried to be like her.  Of course, I was on a very limited budget, so didn't even come close, still, I wore hats, and heels, and carried gloves.  I was a professional woman, too. 

But, as I watched all her shows yesterday, I also discovered she was quite the comedienne.  Slapstick comedy was something she could do, and do well.  She was not afraid to fall into a tub of water, or get flour all over herself.  She and Rose Marie could get themselves into quite some 'pickles'. 

The difference between her and Lucille Ball was that Lucy stayed at home, reminding us that that was where woman's place was, while Doris Day took the woman out of the kitchen and into the office.  We could not have had a better role model.  Frankly, if it had not been for her, I might never have had the careers I had in the days of my
youth.  In 1956 most girls were still getting married right out of high school and starting families, and very few went on to college.  I was lucky, landing a job in advertising and worked my way up the ladder from 'runner' to copywriter and layout artist.  It was amazing. 

And, no kidding, I did try to emulate Doris, I adored her, and to be perfectly honest I still do.  I think a lot of young woman of that day did and still do. 

When she quit show business, I didn't hear much about her anymore, except for her work with animals.  She is still quite the advocate for animal rights.  Way to go Doris.
Many celebrities applauded her yesterday afternoon for the kind, loving, generous person that she is and that's why I'm heaping my own laurels upon her today.

Way to go Doris Day, happy birthday, and I'm absolutely delighted I could be part of Doris Day's Day.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment