Wednesday, April 16, 2014

I had a dream

Don't you just hate it when you are having a dream at the exact time you are being awakened and all you can remember is what happened in the dream at that exact moment.

That happened to me this morning.  Grrrrrrr.

I know the dream was longer, because the rest of it is in the grey clouds of my foggy brain and try as I might I can't walk it out of them.

So, here's what I do remember.

I'm in one of those giant Super Grocery Stores.  I was with somebody, but suddenly realize I'm quite alone.  I'm pushing a shopping cart.  I can see other people shopping.

Parts of the Super Grocery Store are being remodeled, and kind of dark.  I'm walking into the light at the back of the store.   I need margarine (I actually do, by the way).  And, there in the brightly lit corner I see the dairy products department, I head for it.

It's Christmas time, the store is not decorated, but maybe there is canned music in the background.  Anyway, I seem to be singing (not out loud) along with a Christmas Song, and I'm mouthing the line "Hang a shiny star upon the highest bough, and have yourself a merry little Christmas now." 

It is at this exact moment I wake up, and I'm filled with sorrow.  I mean with is weighing on me like a cinder block, I feel like crying.  What the heck?

Here's the thing.  I want to know what this dream meant.  Am I going to be alone this Christmas...every Christmas there after?  Does it mean something sorrowful is going to happen soon?  Or does it mean nothing at all?

I often wonder about unfinished dreams.  Like the ones I have when I seem to be lost and I'm trying desperately to get home.  Or, like the one this morning, does it mean I'm destined to be alone.  Or did it mean if I had walked to the 'light' and gotten there, I'd have died?  Or, about the ones where I'm trying to get home, if I actually reach 'home', would I die?  Is that why the dreams stop so abruptly, because it's not my time 'to go'?

Oh, the pondering.  In the meantime, I'm shaking off the feeling of sorrow, and "Hang a shiny star upon the highest bough..." is slowly fading away.  I guess it's a good thing I've lots to do today and my mind won't have time to dwell on my dream.

"...so, have yourself a Merry Little Christmas now."

No comments:

Post a Comment