Monday, April 21, 2014

one a penny, two a penny

Yesterday I was just finishing 'prissing up', when my phone rang.  It was my next door neighbor telling me she had left 'a little something' for me on my patio table. 

It was a couple of Hot Cross Buns.

Oh, I do so enjoy Hot Cross Buns and I told her so.  Not that I'm a connoisseur or anything like that.  But, a good Hot Cross Bun is...well, there are no words to describe it.  It's all in the taste.  I've had some that are so over-loaded with citron the taste is overwhelming, some are so dry they are difficult to swallow without a good strong mug of coffee to go with them and some are so-so.  There are, of course, some that have been pretty darn good, and when I find some of them, I buy several containers at a time and put them in my freezer for the future.  I do this because Hot Cross Buns are only available for a very short time, Easter, to be exact.

So, when my neighbor told me she had left some on my patio, I was ecstatic.  She told me another neighbor had told her about a bakery that made 'the "best"' Hot Cross Buns in the world, which caused my gift giving neighbor to get into her car, and dash to the bakery and buy some.  And, as an Easter treat for me she was sharing.  I was over-joyed, and thanked her profusely...very, very profusely.  I hurriedly finished dressing and practically fell all over myself, Zorro, CC and Frankie to reach the goodies first.

There they were, two Hot Cross Buns, in a zip-lock bag...I scooped it up. Oh, my gosh...these buns were so fresh, they were still warm.  I stepped inside the morning room and pulled the screen shut, opened the bag, pulled out a bun, and took a bite.

Oh,

my

goodness

gracious

me.

Mmmmmmmm.


Mmmmmmmm.


Mmmmmmmm.

Now,  I was pretty sure I was mmmmmming out loud, but didn't realize I really was until yesterday afternoon, when I saw my neighbor transplanting some plants and I stepped outside to thank her again.  It was then she told me she had heard me.  Mmmmmmmmming.  (I was just slightly embarrassed.)

Anyway, I told her I still had the second one and didn't know whether to eat or save it for some future time.  I think I probably would have saved it, except that shortly after that conversation I got a call from my sister and I told her my Hot Cross Bun story, and she said I should eat it, because if I kept it for some other time it would 'not taste the same'.  I realized she was right.

So,

I

ate

it.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 


Hot cross buns! Hot cross buns!
One a penny two a penny - Hot cross buns
If you have no daughters, give them to your sons
One a penny two a penny - Hot cross buns

No comments:

Post a Comment