Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Beware...the dreaded day is coming.

Maudlin, according to my big book maudlin means to be "overly or tearfully sentimental"...yep, that's me today.

Oh, I know why.  It's the time of year...the dreaded "M" day is coming up.  Mommies, Grammies, and Great-grammies are going to get bombarded with presents, flowers, cards, long distance phone calls and assorted boxes of candies.  They will get breakfast in bed, taken to brunch, lunch and/or dinner.  They will be queens for the day.  Good for them, I guess.

The thing I have about "M" day, is there are still 364 days left in the year.  Generally speaking on those days, they get nothing.  Maybe their birthdays will be remembered, but mostly not.  And if a guy is lucky and remembers, they might get wife-y a card on their anniversary.  I think that's wrong.

All year long Mommies, Gammies and Great-grammies are around.  They wipe tears, lend supporting ears, spend long hours working long and hard at their careers and homes to keep the family woven together like a crocheted afghan.  Now, don't you think they have bad days?  You bet your sweet bippy they do.  Don't you think, they would appreciate a small token, a bouquet of nine dollar flowers from the grocery store flower shop, a silly card, a long distant phone call or even a dollar candy bar for 'just because'.  You bet your sweet bippy they would.  Honest, it does not take much to make a Mommy, Grammy, Great-grammy happy and to feel appreciated.  Oh...and a quick I love you, will put her over the roof.  How hard can that be?

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know, I know you're busy.  We all are, and honestly, I'm just as guilty as the rest of you.  I wish I would have called my Mommy more, not just on our 'selected, prearranged times' because we both knew that was 'the best time' to talk.  I never really called her just to say hello, I love you.  And, now I can't.  I wish I'd have sent her flowers 'just because'...but it's too late now.

But most of all, I wish I'd not have waited till "M" day to send a present, flowers, cards, make calls or send candy.  Damn you "M" day...damn me for not being a better kid...damn any of us who wait till "M" day to show our appreciation to good old Mom, Grandma, and Great-grandma.

Let's all band together and ban stupid "M" day.  If you have to, in order to start a habit, mark your calender, tie a string around your finger, write a note on your hand with a permanent marker and find a medium that best suits your circumstance and if you do nothing more than say "I love you" do it, damn it.  Trust me, it will be worth a million "M" days to the special someone in your life.

"M" day...phooey on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment