Saturday, May 3, 2014

It's just one little pill

I hate taking pills, even if it's just a headache.  I blame this on my childhood, where you never went to a doctor, you slapped a band-aid on an ouchy, and the only pill available was an aspirin, and they were dolled out on a very limited basis.  You 'walked off'' aches and pains and got such good advise as, 'it will get better before you get married'. The only pill available was an aspirin, and when you had a cold and sore throat, you downed a spoonful of  melted Vicks, sprinkled with sugar.  So as a result of my up bringing, today, generally speaking I take every few medications.  My daily vitamins...well, almost daily.  And a few prescriptions, very, very few.  And, honestly I consider myself very lucky that there are indeed very few of them.

However, I do have a few maladies that require an additional pill, and my doctor has told I can take it when I feel I need it.  Well, the last couple of days, I knew I needed it, but because I hate 'needing' it (it's a sign of a flaw in my makeup to pull myself up by my bootstraps), I have not taken it. Of course, this morning, I paid the consequence for not devouring it when I should have, let's say way back Wednesday when I kept telling myself "I'm okay. I'm okay, I'm okay."

As a result, this morning I could barely get out of bed.  I felt, nauseated, my heart was doing it's Bump-it-Tee-bump thing.  And, I could feel myself wanting to hyperventilate.  My creatures wanted fed, so I knew I could simply not lie in bed and 'wallow', so I worked my way through the nausea, sat on the edge of the bed and eventually got the courage to stand up.  You have no idea how difficult that was.  Still I took no pill. And started my daily routine.

Sadly, after that, I limped back to bed.  I sat there for a few seconds.  Then I reached for my bottle of water, took a pill, and lay back down on the bed.  I could feel the medication taking effect.  I was starting to relax, my muscles loosened up, my breathing relaxed.  By golly, if I lie here long enough I just might make it. Within thirty minutes, I was feeling good.  I got up, got myself put together and was raring to go.

Now, here's the thing.  Why am I always so stupid about taking one simple pill THAT I KNOW IS GOING TO HELP ME,  IMMENSELY, AND THAT I AM SUPPOSED TO TAKE TO MAKE ME FEEL BETTER.  Seriously, that is so, so.....stupid.  And the point of this blog is to say to you all...please, don't follow my example.  If you have medications for an ailment specifically designed to help you to ease your pain, release your anxiety, and strengthen your body and your soul, for heaven sake, take the dang pill. Don't wait (like me) till you are sitting on the edge of your bed wondering if you'll be able to stand up and face the day.

And, that's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment