Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Baaa, haaa, haaa

My hexagram for the day states "...you shouldn't move to fast today."  Baaa, haaa, haaa!  Little does it know I couldn't even if  I wanted to.

You see, I had a bit of a mishap.  Yes, over the weekend, my puppy and I collided. Well...here's what happened.

Back story:  Zorro, has a favorite little thing he likes to do, and I confess, I love when he does this.  He climbs up on my chest, puts his nose up against mine and stares into my eyes, it cracks me up every time. His narrow, long nose and the tilt of his head makes him look like a Lemur when it stands on it's back legs and looks longingly into the early morning light.  I tell ya, it is really, really cute and I adore these moments...most of the time.

Anyway, there I was Saturday afternoon waiting for the washer and/or dryer to beep, lounging on the sofa watching something on TV. Probably Green Acres or another old time show, when Zorro decided he was going to do his Lemur thing. Mostly I have a second or two to prepare myself for his leap, but this time I missed and one of his front paws landed just below my sternum, and sunk in.  The pain was awful, and it took a second or two for me to take my hand and place his paw in a spot that didn't hurt.  Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Of course with my upbringing, I took my hand and vigorously rubbed the spot, probably rubbing more vigorously than I should have, and went about the business of doing laundry.  I didn't think much about what had happened.

By the time evening came I could feel pain, pretty bad pain.  It took a while to remember how the heck I'd hurt  myself, then remembered the unfortunate encounter I'd had with Zorro.  I went to bed thinking, 'It'll be better by tomorrow'.

I wasn't.  Sunday, the pain was super bad, I could barely touch the area without wanting to scream.  Just to show how bad it was, I even contemplated going to Emergency Services.  Did I have a bruised liver, a broken sternum.  Hmmm?  Nah, I hate doctoring, I'll be fine.  And, so the day went.  For a while I would sit up...very....very...straight.  Then, I'd walk around for a while.  Then I would lay down...straight...side laying hurt a lot.  I went to bed.

Ow, ow, ow.  I would doze off, but wake up because I hurt.  Eventually I got up and grabbed my tube of Arnica Gel and rubbed it across the bruised area.  I couldn't apply a lot of pressure, but I did manage to smear the area pretty good.  I re-applied the gel a couple of times during the night.

Monday morning, although it hurt a lot when I touched the bruised area (which by the way has not turned black and blue) I still couldn't tell exactly where the injury was.  But, thanks to the gel, I was feeling a bit better, at least I knew nothing was broken.  However, bending over, getting up, sitting down, lying down, sitting slumped over, was not an easy task.  It hurt...all the time.

Monday night it was still hurting all the time so when I went to bed I reapplied the gel, then spent most of the night on my back.  When CC jumped up onto the bed I gasped aloud, fearful she would land on my bruise. Fortunately she did not.  I slept reasonably well.

This morning I awoke, still in pain, but I discovered I'd recovered enough that when I applied a new dose of Arnica I could apply a bit of pressure and I discovered where the impact had been.  It's just below and slightly to the right of my sternum, where the ribs are attached, apparently Zorro's paw, must have landed exactly there...where the sternum and ribs attach.  The pain radiates out from there.

The good things about all of this are I must watch my posture, I'm sure I've not broken anything and my liver has not been bruised.  The bad things are, I have a hard time sitting for any length of time, it still hurts to lay on my right side, bending over to pick things up or slumping over is quite painful, and it's going to take some time to heal.  Oh, and laughing and coughing...well, let's just say for the next few days I'm going to try not to.

Am I going to survive?  You bet ya', though it's going to be a while for the pain to stop. And, you'd think I've learned my lesson, right?  That I would discourage Zorro from wanting to do his Lemur trick. I should, I know I should...but, it's just so darn cute.

I gotta go, I've been sitting too long.  Ow, ow, ow.

No comments:

Post a Comment