Tuesday, July 8, 2014

I'm on a "Staycation"

My sister is in the midst of a wonderful vacation.  Won't be home until mid-month. I'm excited for her, because this trip has been in the works since January.  As the months have passed we've talked a great deal about this, so that as the day of departure arrived I was every bit as excited as she.

So, she sent me a copy of her itinerary and I've been following her adventures.  Day by day I can see where she is and what she's doing.  Thank you, Internet.  Yep, I can check out her hotels/motels, the sights they are visiting and even some of the restaurants in which she is eating.  A few days ago they lunched in a bakery, and oooooh, my! What delicious looking, too big to actually fit in your mouth sandwiches, with wedges of pickles on top, and goodies, too.  You should have seen all those desserts, to say nothing about the breakfast oooie-gooies.  Can you imagine having lunch while the odor of baking breads and cakes waft through the dining area....I can.  Boy, am I getting hungry.


Already she and her tour group have done quite a bit, and I'm preparing a bit of a scrap book I intend to send to my sister when she gets home.  A kind of "Staycation" view of her "Vacation".  You know, it will be filled with all the points of interest I liked most.  After she thumbs through it she can do...whatever.


Anyway so far there are two points of interest I've enjoyed the most.  The first being the Perrine Memorial Bridge, where Evil Knievel made a dramatic attempt to cross the Snake River, and the second being the Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump Interpretive Centre.  Not only is the name fascinating, so is the Centre. The unique architecture so blends in with the colors of the environment I think it could easily be missed.  The Blackfeet Tribe of Native Americans used the Buffalo Jump (cliff) as a means to kill the buffalo in mass by herding them toward the cliff so they had no choice but to 'jump' off.  They would process the meat at the base of the cliff, and after their work was completed they would enjoy a time of recreation.  The "jumps" ended in the 1900's, and the site became a World Heritage Site in 1981 as a testimony of prehistoric life and the customs of aboriginal people.  The legend surrounding the name of this site is a young Blackfoot wanted to watch the buffalo plunge off the cliff from below, but was buried underneath the falling buffalo. He was later found dead under the pile of carcasses, where he had his head smashed in.  

There are many more adventures to come before my sister will be safely home, and I can't wait to be along for the ride.  Best part is, I don't have to worry about luggage, running out of money, gorging myself on too big for my mouth sandwiches...with wedges of pickles on top or sleeping in unfamiliar beds and locations.  Ah, yep, there's nothing quite like a good old fashioned "Staycation". 





No comments:

Post a Comment