Wednesday, November 26, 2014

How odd!

It is amazing what the slightest change in temperature can do.  After having some peculiarly cold weather this autumn, to awaken this morning and have the temperature read in the fifties, it was....well...odd.

The house was so warm, I didn't even turn my heat on this morning, and when I opened the door to let Zorro out for his first run around his kingdom, I pulled the sliding door full open, pulled the screen across the opening and welcomed the morning air into the house.  How odd. Thanksgiving is tomorrow, and some years it has been so cold we've actually had snow flurries on the holiday.  How odd, indeed, today is mysteriously so spring like.

Not long ago I ventured out to retrieve the mail, which I tucked under my right arm and instead of heading for the front door, I stopped, bent over and pulled out some very dead, previously frozen, summer annuals. Okay, one handful of dead matter is no big deal.  I will drop it into the recycle bin and that will be that.  How odd.  Not only did I pull one handful of summer flowers, I pulled several. Not only was that invigorating, it was down right enjoyable.  By the time I was done the bin was almost half full, the sidewalks had been cleared of leaning over, wilted, blackened plant matter and I was tempted to get out some lawn tools to start hacking and whacking.  How odd.

About this time I decided enough was enough, after all, some of this foliage should be allowed to decompose and become soil enhancement for next springs plantings.  Besides...it is after all November, the last thing on my mind should be yard work.  As a result, I took a quick turn around the back yard, and delighted in seeing the promise of spring, slowly nudging up through the good, brown earth.  I so enjoy natures delicate, intricate surprises...and delight that they are not odd at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment