Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Just when I think...

this Winter is going to be normal, things go a-muck.

Seriously, just when we have a plentiful supply of new snow fall on the mountains, the temperatures rise into the forties, and it rains causing the snow to melt.  The ski industry is suffering badly. Generally speaking in January most of the month has rainy days, with city temperature highs in the mid-forties. And that means the snow accumulates by the foot in the mountains.

I expect grey days and star/moonless nights, and the patter of rain lulling me to sleep. Very little rain is expected this week, and the temperatures are going to be above normal as well. The sky is NOT a threatening grey, and this morning I even see a blue canvas sky; while last evening at 5PM, twilight had just begun and I could still make out the paint colors of my neighbors homes.  What the heck is up with that?

And, yesterday afternoon as I was bringing my dog in, I saw my neighbor sitting on her deck steps petting one of her dogs...and she wasn't even wearing a jacket.  How odd for January 6.

I can see the tips of daffodils breaking ground, and was amazed to see a green sea of marsh marigold leaves covering the garden in my back yard as I gazed out my sun room windows. Thank goodness they are hardy, so if the temperatures do plummet, they will survive.  I ponder, will the delicate, soft, grey kittens soon appear on my willows?  And, what about my flowering plum that is also an early bloomer?

Don't get me wrong, these curiosities, are delightful and certainly boost my spirits and tickle my fancy as well.  I wonder if Bobby is going to reappear soon and ask to be allowed to go back outdoors.  Of course he/she will be welcome to go, though I suspect he/she will remain close to the door just in case temperatures plunge and my warm house again seems welcoming.

Hmmm, let's see, if January is more like early March, will March be more like May...and what will that mean for July...September....December?  Hey....where the heck did this year go??????????

No comments:

Post a Comment