Friday, February 27, 2015

Scoo, bee, doo, be, dooo, bee, dooo.

I'm stuck in nostalgia this morning.

I was fortunate to grow up in an era where beautiful songs were written, lyrics told a story, generally love stories.  They were slow, and I swayed back and forth as I hummed them in my head.  Song writers were magicians, their words and music weaved a spell, we walked through a room of smoke and mirrors until we became the song.

This morning a particular song has been weaving in and out of the smoke filled recesses of my brain. At this moment I don't even recall its name, but here are the words I recall so far..."just a passing glance, just a brief romance,...might have ended.....da, da, da.

Dang it!

It was probably written for a Broadway play, maybe back in the '30's or 40's.  Maybe by Gershwin, or maybe Berlin.  I know I'm not going to be able to move on to something else today until I find this song on the Net, read it, find out who wrote it and sing it either in my head or out loud (which won't be pretty...that's for sure).

I've always appreciated the songs from the '30's, 40's and even several from the '50's...then something happened, we started listening to songs about blueberry hills, hound dogs and heartbreak hotels.  Oh, they were clever, and we were still able to memorize the words and sing along, it was still okay.  But, over the decades since I have to confess I find songs written today for the most part are repetitious and not really even sung...but shouted...very, very loudly.  Sigh, I don't even turn on my radio to listen to music, but play old tapes and CD's.  I know, I know I'm old...and nostalgic.

Dang it!

I'm good with letting the 'young folk' have their music, I'm thankful I don't have to listen to it, and who knows, maybe somebody in their late teens and early twenties today in another five or so decades will be sitting at some kind of newfangled technology saying to themselves...'what was the name of that song...Scoo, bee, doo, be, dooo, bee, dooo?  I bet ya' fifty cents it didn't tell a beautiful story, like the one below.


Nat King Cole – Fascination Lyrics

It was fascination
I know
And it might have ended
Right then, at the start
Just a passing glance
Just a brief romance
And I might have gone
On my way
Empty hearted

It was fascination
I know
Seeing you alone
With the moonlight above
Then I touch your hand
And next moment
I kiss you
Fascination turned to love

It was fascination
I know
Seeing you alone
With the moonlight above
Then I touch your hand
And next moment
I kiss you
Fascination turned - to - love

Songwriters: OAKEY, PHILIP/CALLIS, JO /

Fascination lyrics © EMI Music Publishing, Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, 
Peerrmusic Publishing, Warner/Chappell Music, Inc., Universal Music Publishing Group


Oh, how I wish something like that had happened to me.  A balcony, crickets singing, slight summer breeze, gardenias in the air...a silhouette standing in the open French doors...a gentle tap on my bare shoulder..."then he touched my hand and next moment he kissed me, fascination turned to love."

Sigh! 


No comments:

Post a Comment