Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Here's the thing.

Yesterday my blog was about inserting new things into my exercise program.  I did that, as a result I realized this morning I have not been working all my muscles in the way they could be used. Ow! On the up side I've discovered I'm able to do things I thought I would never (again) be able to do in my lifetime.

Remember when I said my friend stood in a ballet position, heels together, toes pointed outward then lifting her heels off the floor.  Well, guess what?  This morning I was using the arm of my sofa for support while doing this and it struck me that I could do this without the sofa support and let go.  To my amazement, I was able to do this exercise standing alone, arms extended outward and lift myself...my whole body up onto my toes.  Then held this position without losing my balance.
Wow!

I'm starting to think the aging of my body is not just physical, but  mental.  I'd come to believe all the things people do tell you about getting old and that is exactly what makes a person old.  If you think you can't do something, you won't.  We become content with being sedentary. At least I know I did. Now that makes me so angry at myself I could spit tacks.  What the heck was wrong with me, if everybody jumped of a cliff would I jump, too?  I don't think so.  As a result I'm taking the opportunity to change my mental attitude about getting old by being physical.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm addicted to being sedentary, and just like being addicted to anything, it's a day to day process controlling it.  I could backslide at any moment.  I remember those afternoons, watching TV, taking a 40 winks nap, those were the good old days.  Some days I miss them.  What keeps me going is trying new, more difficult physical endeavors.  For instance, I'm sure you remember my trying to hoist myself up and off my sofa day before yesterday afternoon and that it didn't go well.  I thought for sure it would take at the very least weeks, at the most months to accomplish this feat.  But, not to be dissuaded I attempted the same thing yesterday afternoon.  At first I couldn't get my leg muscles to do what they were supposed to.  I pictured in my mind what I wanted them to do and I thought very, very hard.

Concentrate.

Concentrate.

Concentrate.

I willed my body to stand...on it's own...without my hands having any part in lifting my body off the sofa.

And, I did.  Oh, it wasn't pretty by any means, and Emily Post would shuddered at how unlady like it was.  But, I was so proud of myself I could have cried.  For the rest of the afternoon each time I stood I made my legs, and legs alone to get me to a standing position.  Color me amazed!!!

I guess what I'm trying to write is we encumber ourselves by thinking we can't accomplish things; by the same token can't we become unencumbered by thinking that we can.  Last September I never would have thought I'd be where I am today getting myself up off my sofa unencumbered.  I've no idea what's coming next but I'm sure it will surprise me.

Disclaimer:  Please remember I started my program with the encouragement and support of my physician, check with yours I'm sure he/she can provide a program suited to your current physical condition.  If he/she already has provided one for you but you prefer being sedentary, remember I used to be like that, too.  But also remember, I'm starting to think the aging of my body is not just physical, but mental.

Then I got up off my sofa and that changed everything.



No comments:

Post a Comment