Saturday, October 31, 2015

Old dogs, new tricks

Okay, okay...I admit it, I was spoiled.  For more than ten years the most work I had to do when it came to grocery shopping was to go on-line and order them from (I don't think I'm supposed to name the grocery chain) and put them away after the driver placed the bags on my living room floor.  Easy-peasy!  I never had to go out in nasty weather!  The wonderful drivers always arrived on time and were always cheerful and friendly.

When I moved I e-mailed this grocery chain and inquired if they delivered to my new area.  I was sooo optimistic.  I waited in antsy anticipation for a response.  I got none except for a short quip that my 'zip code' was not included in their delivery area.  TALK ABOUT A BUMMER!

However, on the up side I have moved much, much closer to one of my daughters, and we have made a deal that when she comes to shop in town she will call me to see if I want to go along.  (So far I've never said "No.")  Yesterday was one of those shopping days.

I have to confess I'm kind of slow on the draw when it comes to physical shopping because I'm so out of practice.  Learning where everything is in a new store takes time and I find myself trekking back and forth across the same aisles looking for what I want to buy.  The nice thing is that some of my grandchildren are always along, and (bless them) one of them volunteers to trek along beside me as I wander lost among the produce, dairy products, cleaning supplies, bakery, etc, etc.  Mind you, they do this all with a smile on their face.  Seriously, there is never a grumble, never a sigh, never a roll of an eye.  Am I lucky or what?

So, after shopping yesterday morning I just happened to have a gift card to a (I don't think I'm supposed to name the restaurant) for a late breakfast or lunch and off we went.  Talk about a fun time, there we were the four of us, chatting it up, eating great food and simply enjoying each other’s company.  I'm thinking this is a habit I could get used to.

Even better, I'm re-discovering shopping.  I already know where the produce and dairy departments are. The rest are sure to follow.  Plus, I love the time I'm spending with family. My daughter is dragging me into the 21st century teaching me to buy with my debit card (apparently people don’t write checks any more) and giving me hints on how to be brave enough to use the 'check yourself out' apparatus.  Imagine that!  Let it never be said you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I'm a prime example!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment