Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Nostalgia

I have to confess I like living in the day.  This 24 hour span might be my best yet, I don't want to interfere with one single second.  However, sometimes I enjoy a few minutes of nostalgia as well.

Just a few moments ago my cat began to call for me.  In very distinct vocal clarity she calls out "Mama, mama" until I call out, "What, what, what do you want?" And she comes racing to where ever I am.  I had one other cat years ago who used to do the same thing.

Anyway, she called out while I'm at my computer and I respond.  CC came rushing in, jumped up on my paper cutter, walked across my "Big Book" dictionary and came to a stop on my keyboard.  I was about to check out a web-site, but she happened to press her foot on something and instead of the site I wanted, the one of my hometown came up on my monitor.

Whether my subconscious wanted me to be there all along I can't say for sure, but the scenes of my hometown web-site’s banner brought a lump to my throat.  There was Central Park, adorned in spring, trees abloom in pink.  In the background were buildings over 100 year old. Oh, how many times did I walk through that park, walk past those buildings.

There was the Inclined Plane, halfway up/down the hillside, and it brought to mind all the people and vehicles it moves daily, and how it took people from the valley up the hill during the time of floods.  I loved riding the Inclined Plane.

A panoramic view of the city, came next, I could see the building where I used to work, the church where we were allowed to take time off to attend Good Friday service.  I could see the defunct Steel Mill buildings, abandoned long ago.

Then there were things I didn't recognize at all, the "Mystery of Steel Exhibit" and the "Johnstown Flood National Museum", both new and enticing to visitors passing through, or native sons and daughters returning home for a vacation.  It pleases me that my hometown has its eyes on the future.  

I was brought back from my moment of nostalgia when my cat began to pace back and forth across the desk and I could no longer see the screen.  Silly cat. I gave her a good loving, and cats being what they are...she finally said, "Okay, I'm done." and she walked over to her favorite window sill and is watching birds, people and dogs saunter by. So, I guess it's time I get back to work. Thanks CC; Its been a while since I've been home.

No comments:

Post a Comment