Monday, April 4, 2016

There used to be a song...I think.



Yes, it's been that kind of a morning, one stupid line from a song, has been going through my head and all I can remember is the one that I think goes something like this..."Gee, it's funny how time slips away."  I think some quartet from the Fifties sang it; I may still have the album and yes I brought all those albums with me when I moved.  I was going to sell them till I recently found out they were making a comeback.  Elton John apparently sold all of his and is now in the process of trying to buy them back.  He happened to bring that up the last time he was on the BBC Graham Norton show.

I still have a turntable on which to play records and probably should buy a couple of speakers just so I play those darn things. I've a lot of Frank Sinatra's LP's, he was my favorite.  The store I worked in had a record department and every time a new album of 'Ole Blue Eyes' came on the market the buyer would let me know and hold one for me until payday. I used to drive my family playing them on my Hi-Fi over and over and over again.

I've noticed on the Graham Norton show almost all of the musical guests he has on are also putting out long playing albums.  I guess maybe 'somethings' old deserve to become new again. This brings me back to the line from the song I can’t get out of my head today.  I'm positive I've got it on one of those albums in my garage with songs...which...back in the day told a story.  Some of which could break your heart simply because the story was about heartbreak.  Sigh! We've all been there and I'm sure we all have a song that reflects our personal heartbreak.  Maybe that's why this line from a song is in my head this today. I have been thinking lately about a lost love.

Excuse me, I've got to look into this, I'll be right back...hang in there.

Okay, here's what I learned.  Apparently the lyrics were written by of all people Willie Nelson and could not have been sung in the '50's because it was not written until 1961/1962.  However it has been recorded may times over the years by many people...maybe even Ole Blue Eyes.  Perhaps that's why it was in my head this morning perhaps I may have heard it recently and it was subconsciously rolling around in my head.

I was right though; this is a song about a breakup...and for me that awkward moment when I bumped into that lost love in an elevator and there were five floors of agonizing, uncomfortable conversation. Wow, I'm getting a very large lump in my throat.  Let's see if these lyrics bring a lump to yours.

Funny How Time Slips Away Lyrics
Well hello there my it's been a long long time
How am I doin' oh I guess that I'm doin' fine
It's been so long now but it seems now it was only yesterday
Gee ain't it funny how time slips away
How's your new love I hope that he's doin' fine
I heard you told him that you'd love him till the end of time
Now that's the same thing that you told me seems like just the other day
Gee ain't it funny how time slips away
I gotta go now I guess I'll see you around
Don't know when though never know when I'll be back in town
But remember what I tell you in time you're gonna pay
And it's surprising how time slips away

It's now mid-afternoon, I've been pulled away from my computer a couple of times since I first started writing this...and indeed yet another phone call, but I'm bound and determined to finish. 

Still, 
it's funny  how time slips away.


No comments:

Post a Comment