Thursday, May 12, 2016

Dutch Bros

Okay, I know I've been behind on many things, and Dutch Bros has been one of those things.  I've been a fan of and visitor to Starbucks for years and years so I'm not really THAT far behind the times. And, I'd heard of Dutch Bros and have seen their little kiosks around but never had the opportunity to go to one until several weeks back. I'd been told I would not be disappointed and believe me I was not.  I had a great coffee drink, and I was told their fruit smoothies were likewise fantastic.

Yesterday my granddaughter came to spend the day and she suggested we go to McDonald's for lunch because there is a Dutch Bros kiosk halfway between McDonald's and where I live.  Her thinking was, we could eat but not drink while having lunch and then stop at Dutch Bros on the way home for some smoothies. Now...you have to consider...we were walking...wanting to go through a drive-through which in itself a very unusual thing to do.  So, there we stood next to the building while a customer in a vehicle was being served; all the while I'm hoping another vehicle would not pull in behind us. One did not.

It was finally our turn, one of the girls asked what we wanted and I said six smoothies in different flavors. She seemed astounded, but the team worked together and in a jiffy our order was complete.  I could tell she was curious as to what I was going to do with all the smoothies so I explained I was going to attempt an experiment and freeze the smoothies then use them as 'desserts'.  I also told her if it worked I would be back to do this all over again.  I think we might have been the best sale of their day.

When we got home my granddaughter and I each had a smoothie as we watch a movie.

After my granddaughter left I went to the kitchen and pulled the remaining smoothies out of the refrigerator, pried off the tops, then took a spoon and mixed the whipped cream in with the rest of the fruity part of the smoothies. Finally, I sat them in the freezer and hoped for the best.

This morning I checked the freezer and discovered the smoothies froze without the cream separating and rising to the top.  Curious I took one out and scraped a spoon across the top of it. The consistency was harder than sherbet, but still very tasty, however, I think rather than treating it as an ice cream treat I'm simply going to set the smoothie on a counter for about half an hour, and slowly drink it as it was intended. I like this idea especially with summer on the way.

Oh, Frankie just had a terrific thought...she wonders what a shot of vodka or my favorite whiskey would do for this tasty treat...hmmm...oh yes, I'm...we're...going to like this summer treat.  Thanks Dutch Bros.


No comments:

Post a Comment