Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Education

I hated school.  I know, that's a terrible thing to confess, and sets a bad example for all the grand-kids and great-grand-kids in my life. Most certainly I should never, ever admit this to them or any other kid I happen to come across sitting for hours at a dining-room table trying to get through the evening's homework.  But...I do...and sometimes with graphic illustrations making faces and disgusting noises.  I not only tell them I hated school, I show them my report cards that I've saved all these years that prove I was a C-D-F generally all-around lousy student.

My mother knew I hated school, but she insisted she paid taxes so that I could have a 'free' education and I was going to go to school. No, she would not allow me to play hookey and no I could not pretend to be ill. I had to go to school...."it was a law".  So, I went trudging through snow, sleet and hail (just like the postman used to do...now he has a truck) five days a week to the bus stop blocks away.  There has never a student so thrilled to get a diploma and walk out of school for the very last time than myself.

However, here's the thing.  Now that I am not 'required' to learn, I love learning.  Seldom a day goes by that I am not learning something new. I think sometimes learning, like love, is wasted on the young.  We don't really appreciate either until we are older and WISER.  So, most days I can be found my nose buried in a book, or thumbing through my 'big book' dictionary, or researching something on the wonderful Internet. I have been known to explore the universe or to look at the most tiny insect under a magnifying glass.  I often wish I had a microscope.

I enjoy taking on-line educational classes.  I've taken 13 so far, dabbling in writing, law and even beginning French.  I keep checking in with Auburn University that has numerous six week classes in a multitude of courses.  They are quite reasonable in cost which is fantastic for someone on a limited budget.  True, they are pass/no pass classes and you don't actually get 'credits' toward college degree, still they look pretty good on a resume.  And, they are fun times, fun times.

But I digress.

The point I'm trying to make is, that there is hope for any mediocre student, who dislikes a structured classroom.  Being 'self-taught' can be a brilliant way to become educated, and as you excel in the things you enjoy you will find the knowledge attained stays with you.  I've discovered as I've moved through life and my interests have changed my wanting to learn has given me knowledge in a multitude of subjects I'd have otherwise missed.  Considering the age in which we live, there are no boundaries to learning, the box we build for ourselves and wanting to stay safely inside its walls is the only thing that keeps us from further educating ourselves.

The thing is, even the youngest child expects something to 'happen' every day, and thereby learn from that 'happening'.  Happenings never stop no matter what your age so GO, EXPLORE, and ask...Who, what, when, where and why?  You will be amazed at what you will learn.

The above does not mean that you should not attend school...it is a privilege...and a diploma or GED is helpful no matter what course you chose to take in life.  You don't have to like or necessarily enjoy school...but stick with it...then get out there...and educate yourself in the things you love and enjoy.
 
Remember, start where you are, with what you have; then go make something of it. NEVER BE SATISFIED!

No comments:

Post a Comment