Monday, May 9, 2016

I'm disgusted with myself

I've been trying so hard to stay on track with my writing. No joke, I really REALLY have.  I think about it every single day.  I talk it over with Muse all the time.  Frankly, I fear she is about ready to repack her bags and take off for parts unknown, so I've got to get a handle on this.

Yesterday she grabbed me by the arm, dragged me into the office and pulled open the drawer that is filled with old and unfinished fiction I have done over the years.  Some, I did while attending writing seminars and some are from online classes or books with writing exercises in them.  Muse then suggested I start by posting some of those...hmmm...perhaps that's a good idea.

So, here I go.

The lesson was to create a beginning to a short story, so this has no end...you must imagine one for yourselves.

                                                            The Elevator

“The elevator lurched fell rapidly, and then jerked to a stomach churning stop.  Everything went black. It seemed like an eternity until the lights dimly flickered and came back on.

An older Nun in traditional habit stood in one corner hands folded under her apron and she was almost whispering.  I think she might have been praying.

A tired, weary looking young woman holding an infant knelt to hug and reassure her whimpering little boy.

A tall man in a black, hand tailored suit looked angry and annoyed.  He glanced nervously at his watch, moved his briefcase to his other hand and rolled his eyes at nothing in particular.

However, it was the boy with the half bald head and earring-ed nose that piqued my interest.  It was hard to tell if he was amused or concerned.  He took a pocket knife from his jacket pocket and began to dig at his nails.

Oh shit, I thought, ain't this a fine kettle of fish.”

(There you have it, who are these people and how long will these people be trapped in this elevator?  Where were they going?  Will someone take charge?  Will emotions boil over?  Will something bad happen?  It is up to you to fill in the blanks.)

Hey, this might be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment