Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Poor, poor Bobby

Well, it finally happened.

You all know I've had a winter house guest for the last couple of years.  S/he is a Shield Bug.  We've lived in blissful harmony, sometimes I don't see him/her for weeks at a time, and when we do, we say 'hello' and go our merry ways.  It's been fun. We've also been keeping a secret, but last night, those buttinsky reporters let the cat out of the bag.

I was horrified.  I was hoping nobody would ever make the connections, sadly somebody did.

For, you see, my delightful house guest, my beautifully decorated Shield Bug is....., is........, is.........

is.......,

..........,



none other than the common, Stink Bug.  There I said it, 'er, wrote it.

Of course the news media jumped all over the fact that the Stink Bug has apparently become somewhat of a problem here in my area.  And, they delighted in reporting the various means available to eradicate these intricately decorated insects.  Oh.....the humanity....oh, the horror.

Here's the thing.  Apparently, there is a native Stink Bug we don't want to eradicate, and another variety that arrived here by 'heaven knows' what means.  The big question being, how do we get rid of the aliens, while keeping and perpetuating the indigenous variety.  And...here's an even worse thought, what happens to the mixed marriage offspring? Do we spare them?  Or, do we consider them unworthy of Northwest citizenship?

I tell ya', this is a perplexing dilemma.  I know Bobby has already taken up winter residence, I saw him/her just the other night walking across the rim of my vanity table lamp, where upon I bid him/her a good night's sleep and trotted off to my own trundle bed.

Knowing what I do now, what do I do?  Do I evict him/her?  Do I actually concoct one of the horrible means of eradication, advised on the TV news last night, and spray my house guest?  (I've been advised death comes quickly.)  Or, do I offer this beautifully decorated creature secret asylum, and never speak of our relationship ever again?

Sigh!

I think, whatever conclusion I come to it will remain between Bobby and me.





No comments:

Post a Comment