Monday, October 6, 2014

I know, I know,

I've been neglecting my blog...and it's a damn good way to lose readers. Sorry about that.  Truth be told last week was filled with stuff that filled my days that made me neglect not just my blog; but work, chores and just about everything else.

I won't go into all that 'stuff',  but I'll give you and example.  I think I may have mentioned that my next door neighbor's daughter has moved back up to the Pacific Northwest, and is staying at home (temporarily) with her mom and dad.  She is very much into the Humane Society's rescue program and has adopted two dogs, and is currently rescuing a third.  (The third is a beautiful mixed breed pup, a year old).

Sadie is her name, and oh, my, she has the hots for Zorro, and he for her.

Here's the problem.  My neighbor has no back yard, mine is very small, but I told my neighbor they could use my back yard (such as it is) to let the dogs stretch their legs.  Between our yards, I installed a 3 foot wire (decorative only) fence to keep Zorro from inviting himself into their house and eating their cat food. However, I did set the fence up with a gate so, in case of an emergency we both have access to each others doors.

For a couple of days, my neighbor's dogs understood the rules, that 'the mistress' opened the gate, and they could wander around my back yard.  It didn't take long for them to discover ways to 'let themselves in'. As a result, I spent a lot of time last week trying to find ways to strengthened the weak and vulnerable sections of the fence.  It has become a battle of wills.  Especially when it comes to Sadie.  She wants to come visit and play.  She's quite a bit bigger than Zorro, and now that I've pretty much strengthened the fence, her only option is to stick her head and neck through it...and (of course) get stuck.  This does not bode well for the fence.  Or me.  Or Zorro.

I do have a couple of options.  I could open the gate and simply let them roam.  However, Zorro might look upon that as an opportunity to 'visit' the neighbor's, a habit I don't want to encourage.  I could take back my offer of allowing their dogs to use my back yard, but, I have great fondness for dogs, and they are only temporary visitors and I do like them...all three.  I could give up my back yard for a while, and put Zorro out to enjoy the front yard while the other three enjoy the back. Decisions, decisions.

Then again, it is October, and the rains are coming.  And (let's face it) dogs don't particularly like getting wet, and we certainly don't like the smell of wet dogs so, I feel this situation will take care of itself. Besides, the daughter is looking for a house to purchase, and could be gone in a very short period of time, with this particular problem going away on it's own.

Anyway, this is why I've not been blogging.  Tending to three guest dogs, Zorro and my cat used up a lot of my days. Plus there has been all the other 'stuff' as well.  Sigh.  There are simply not enough hours to get every thing done.

I will try to do better this week.  Thanks for hanging in with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment