Monday, March 2, 2015

Happy hour

As I posted yesterday I had a date to go to happy hour with friends, and since I had given Frankie such a hard time about my coffee creamer system I invited her to go along with us.

At first she declined, but I pulled the please, please, please, pullllleeeeeaaaase, 'be a two year old kid whine until you say yes' trick.  It worked.

Around 3:30 my friend showed up, and the three of us took off to meet our fourth companion.  My friend lives within walking distance of many great restaurants, and she suggested we walk.  Boy, I shoot Frankie a look...she's not used to walking, is she going to make a fuss.  I glance to my left and I can see the intersection with the light and think, it's not all that far, we should be able to make it no problem.  After all Frankie and I have been exercising for quite a while, and we are in better shape than we've been in a long, long time, walking several blocks should not present a problem.

Our fourth companion shows up and we begin our trek.  It's a beautiful day, there is a scent of spring blossoms on the air and we leisurely stroll along the street.  Our conversation is as light and breezy as the day, we talk about all sorts of things which is easy to do since we've not been together for quite a long time.

I glance at Frankie, she's not talking much but I can tell she's enjoying herself and listening to our conversation because she smiles and laughs at the appropriate times. Lake Oswego is a dog friendly city so as we stroll we stop and pet all kinds and sizes of them.  We're having a wonderful time. Our destination comes into view. Surprisingly...none of us is winded...even though we talked and laughed the whole way.

We seat ourselves, order drinks and eventually food. Now, you'd think by now we'd have run out of things to talk about, but that was not the case.  Frankie talked about the move we hope to make later this year and I was pleased to know she's as excited, yet just a bit as scared as I at the prospect of making such a gigantic change in our lives.

Much too soon it's time to start our trek back to where it began.  This time it is slightly up hill. Frankie and I share a secret glance...down hill was one thing, going up was quite another.  We needn't have worried the walk was easy-peasy.

Once home I asked Frankie if she had a good time.  She sank into a chair and kicked off her cowboy boots as a grin of contentment spread across her face.  I grinned back, there was no need for words. I'm glad she agreed to come along because I knew she had forgiven me for my morning tirade, and this morning she made both of us a cup of hazelnut flavored coffee.

All is right in our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment