Saturday, March 7, 2015

TP

Yesterday morning I had the opportunity to change out a toilet paper roll.  Okay, there's nothing unusual about that, I've been doing that my entire adult life.  In every family (generally speaking) there is one person to whom falls the responsibility of keeping each toilet paper dispenser operational.  We wish others would share...but, we know they won't.

Since I know this is something Frankie will never, never, ever do, and CC and Zorro can't I continue to do this tiresome job.  I can do it blindfolded.  However, yesterday I had nothing in particular on my mind as I did this chore and I actually examined the roll of paper.  As usual it was two ply, but upon close inspection I discovered it was as thin as one ply used to be.  I took a good look at the individual squares, dang they were tiny.

I removed the metal roller from the dispenser and shoved the new roll of paper on it and returned the whole shebang to its proper place.  WAIT A MINUTE!  There was almost an inch of metal extending beyond the toilet paper roll.  How come I never noticed this before?  Those dispensers were made to hold a much wider roll of paper...and I remember when it did.

Well, that's just wrong.  Once more I'm getting gypped.  It's like when I noticed I was getting a mere 15 ounces of margarine instead of 16, or being able to buy only four pounds of sugar for the same price I used to get five.  Thing is, manufactures and suppliers have been sneaky about the changes and we don't notice until after the damage has been done.  I confess I have no idea how long I'd been buying 15 ounce margarine containers, and four pound bags of sugar until I went back to reading labels.  I was shocked.

But, toilet paper! Oh I was aware even the most expensive kinds aren't nearly as soft as they used to be, but how sneaky they were to gradually, ever so gradually decrease not only the length of each square but the width as well.  Are we paying any less for this product?  No.  Are we paying more? You bet your lifesavors.  I normally buy the house brands of this product because they are cheaper than name brands, unless one of the name brands happens to be on 'special' making me feel giddy that I'm getting away with something illegal.  They can afford to put it on 'special' it's smaller, as cheaply made as the house brand and certainly does not last any longer.  I'm simply getting gypped...again.

I wish now I had not paid so much attention to replacing my roll of toilet paper.  I spent the morning stewing and fretting.  I even began to wonder if Sears still puts out a catalog, in olden day it supposedly made excellent TP for the outhouse.  Better yet maybe I'll stop recycling my catalogs and simply stack them up next to the toilet in my bath room.  Hmmm, I wonder how Frankie will take to that?

Anyway, who knows what will gyp me (and you) next.  I'm already noticing bleach does not remove stains the way it used to.  Cookies are smaller, while packaging remains the same size so I'm discovering broken ones when I open it. Darn cookies have room to roam around.  Potato chip and snack packages are loaded with air, so when you peek inside the first chip is halfway down into the bag. It's like looking into a cave or a well.  I think the air is supposed to protect the snack from 'breakage'... yeah, right...take a good look at your chips, people.  Sigh, I could go on and on but I suspect I've already spoiled your day, I know I've spoiled mine.

Dang you toilet paper manufacturers!  If I didn't need you so badly I'd, I'd, I'd....




No comments:

Post a Comment