Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Bits of this and that.

Brooom, broooom, clunk, clunk

Yesterday was very interesting.  You just never know what's going to happen around here.  Each day is a new adventure.  Early in the morning the golf course lawn mower was doing its thing, which is always fun to watch.  The mower consists of a farmer's tractor with a humongous mower attached that flings the mowed grass into the air. Fascinating!  I watched the driver meticulously moving the mower up and down the first fairway and then went out of sight and then come close to mow the area between the first tee and the putting green.

Uh-oh, the motor of the tractor started to sound peculiar.  I think to myself 'this isn't good'.  The machine managed to get to the front of my patio and D-I-E-D.  He got it going but it died again and again.  I guess he must have called somebody because within a few minutes one of the other workers showed up in a golf cart/repair cart...at least the guy had tools. They set to work.  Puttt, putttt, clunk. Puttt, puttt, clunk. Time after time they would get the tractor moving, only to have it die. The farthest it would go was about the length of a football field.

So it went for a couple of hours I think.  Finally they got it going well enough to get it off the course and to where the machine goes 'nite-nite' each day.  I went about my business of yard work thanks to the wonderful, beautiful, warm weather.  I had just finished and was getting ready to water my plants when I heard the sound of a motor, lo, around the corner of my building appeared the tractor with mower attached.  I smiled at the operator, waved and gave him a big thumbs up.  He grinned and gave a thumbs up back.

By the way, there has been no word as to when anyone will come back to finish pressure washing our building. Personally I don't think anybody is going to.  However, I won't put all my patio furniture back until Saturday, since the last day for the washing is supposed to be Friday.  I do have two chairs sitting out there but if work does begin on our building I can hurriedly fold them up and out of the way.

At the moment I'm working hard to get chores done this morning so I can sit out and enjoy what is turning out to be another glorious spring day.  I hear tomorrow it is going to be much cooler and cloudy so I must, as farmers say "Make hay while the sun shines."  Not that I will be outdoors working by any means; I did that yesterday.

I was surprised this morning to see some swallows swooping and diving around the golf course, it was silly of me to think they would not show up.  What better place to find insects, lots and lots of insects. Living so close to a school when I lived in Portland every year I watched the swallows make their homes all along the building where the roof overhung the side of the building.  The swallows would dive bomb us as we walked through the grass stirring up the bugs as we went.  It was amazing how close they could come yet never make physical contact with us. They are amazing creatures.

Millie and Maynard do not come back as frequently these days. I guess their family has grown and is gone so they are free to roam until next mating season.  I wish them well for the summer but hope I will see them again (if) they choose to winter here at the course.

So, dear friends that's about it for today; all I've got is just bits of this and that.  I simply cannot contain myself any longer.  I've got to go enjoy the out of doors, "Come on Zorro...let's go for a walk."

No comments:

Post a Comment