Thursday, April 14, 2016

Here Ducky, Ducky, Ducky


Poor, poor ducks and geese.  They seem to be so confused.  They're not the only ones.  Let's face it; the high '70's and low 80's of a week or so ago spoiled us.  We became complacent that summer had arrived.  Shoot, I was running around in shorts and tee shirts drinking libations on my patio until dusk.  It was marvelous.

The ducks and geese had all but disappeared from the golf course and I even saw a couple of grey squirrels scampering about stealing leftover birdseed from my neighbors feeding stations. It was good to see them and I was looking forward to having them pay me visits on a regular basis.

Then...brrr...the weather changed.  I'm starting seeing more and more ducks on the fairway.  Millie and Maynard started coming back for snacks morning and evening along with two males that I think might have been children/siblings of theirs because they all were getting along great.  Just a while ago I found Millie having lunch, I tried to capture a picture of her...instead I frightened her away.  Oh, I've begun calling the young Drakes, Mister Bachelor and Mister Unattached.  Sometimes the bachelors come alone, sometimes with Millie and Maynard.

This morning has been quite cool, rainy and blustery very, very blustery.  So much so the geese have returned joining the ducks on the fairway.  Not just a few, but bunches, some coming quite close to my patio.  They seem to be taking turns sauntering up and down the straight away, nibbling here and there.  Although at the moment since the sun is temporarily out, they seem to have settled down for a siesta. Mostly I think they are confused, I'm sure they should be thinking about moving northward to their breeding grounds, but maybe some internal mechanism is telling them it's going to be a La Nina summer and to stick around where there is lots of food, shade and water.  As a result they might show up any time a day (week) like today is predicted.

However, since this is my first spring here, perhaps this is not really an unusual occurrence. Whether it is or isn't I'm simply going to enjoy their company and learning what I can about them. Plus I'm pleased they feel comfortable enough to come so close that I almost reach out and touch them.

Of course Millie, Maynard, Messrs. Bachelor and Unattached are much more social and interactive.  I think I could, with a bit of patience, get them to take food right out of my hand and I do hope they hang out here year round.  By the way, I've found they are not particularly fond of oat seeds and I don't intend to buy any more of those, but as for the corn...well, "Here, Ducky, Ducky....Ducky."

No comments:

Post a Comment