Thursday, January 21, 2016

Golf, Part 2


Today I'm going to write about what I've learned about women golfers. This again, isn’t much since everything is from simple observation. First, there are not nearly as many women golfers as men.  However, some women do rounds of golf alone, and I admire that greatly.  I've yet to see one driving a cart, as most use the carts on rollers that carry the bags, while a very few carry their own clubs.

Second, more women use the putting green than men, and for a longer time. The men mostly use that green waiting for the other members of their foursome to show up, while the women seriously work on their (I think it's called their approach) and concentrating on sinking a putt. Oh, and I love their attire, none of them wear cute 'golf fashions' and go for comfort instead (I greatly admire that) ...and not one...not one has worn any kind of cap or sun visor.  I think that has a lot to do with the fact that when the sun does shine here we don't shun it.

Next apparently 'couple' golfing is not popular. There has been (so far) only one occasion have I seen a 'couple' golfing.  This is puzzlement to me...and if someone out there can explain that, I would appreciate knowing why that is. Seriously, is it because women don't have the strength in their swing for the golf balls to carry as far as their husband, mate, or partner?  Is it because they walk slower?  Is it because arguments might ensue?  Is it too much togetherness? Is it because they talk too much?  Hmmm?

I think women do enjoy the camaraderie of a foursome.  One morning I was watching three women on the first tee.  They appeared to be having a delightful conversation, there was a bit of practice club swinging, leaning on clubs and occasionally I could hear a bit of laughter.  They were certainly in no hurry to begin the round. A short time later they did begin to play, and they began to walk their rolling carts down the path.  Suddenly they all stopped and began conversing again.

Here's what I suspect.  I believe they much have received a call from the fourth party who must have said she was in the parking lot..."I'll catch up."  I think the ladies must have said "We'll wait for you." For that is exactly what they did.  They stood in the path chatting and a few minutes later the last of their party came into view, she waved at them while they waved back.  Ms. Late didn't bother with the first tee, and when she caught up with her Ms. On Timers, they walked on down the path together.

At this point I had things to do, and I lost interest in the group but still wonder to this day, how many strokes did they give Ms. Late for that first hole?  Or, were they just playing for fun and not even keeping score?  

Here's the thing...and I have to wonder, would a foursome of men have tolerated the women's behavior and allowed a tardy Mr. Late to 'catch up' with the group?  Or, would Mr. Late simply have called and bowed out, then stayed home in bed?  Oh, the mystery of it all.  I have so much to learn.

There you have it.  Today it didn't rain and from time to time golfers...all men...played rounds.  Some had golf carts, while others walked.  The one I enjoyed the most was the group of three older gentlemen.  Each wore boots more suitable for the sport of 'fly fishing' than golf, winter jackets, and caps. Two of which were the baseball type...but it was the third cap I liked the most. It was really, really a winter cap.  It was red and black plaid (it looked like it might have been flannel), came well below the nape of his neck for warmth and....are you ready?  Ear flaps...yep...this cap would have been perfect for the wilds of....Alaska...I truly never expected to see it on a golf course in Oregon.


There you have it, once again, great entertainment on the cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment