Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Golf

Since moving to my new 'pad', that over looks a golf course, I've been trying to understand the game of golf.  I confess I've learned very little about it.  First, I'm not sure it is a game...I'm not sure it is a sport.   Mostly I think it's simply a reason for a group of men and occasionally women to get together and knock a little white ball around.

Here are a few things I've noticed.  First, guys love their golf carts. There is one in particular I adore. It is red and white and is shaped like a mid '50's Chevy car, the guy who owns is takes very, very good care of it, and it shines brightly...rain or 'shine'.  Those carts can move along at a pretty good clip; a fact that surprised me.  Sometimes I actually see them whipping up and down the street on their way to the nearby convenience store.  I'm not sure...do they need a license plate to be on a city street? Humm.

Next I discovered there is a huge difference between golfers who take the game/sport seriously, and those who play just for the exercise or perhaps the fun of it.  Those who take the game serious are the most entertaining.  They have rituals as they approach the tee.  They bend, stretch, practice swing and pay strict attention to their stance (bend the knees, move the hips, with good follow through arms high in the air over their shoulder).  Those who play for fun, don't waste time.  They take a few practice swings and 'let er' rip'.  If they don't like where the first ball landed they replant the tee and take another swing.  I watched one guy do that three times.

Then I learned that just because you are playing a foursome does not mean there is a lot of camaraderie going on, as golfers tend to wander off in the direction their dimpled ball landed, to 'catch up' with their companions on the green.  The exception to this rule is when two golfers are sharing a cart, riding together down the path stopping close to where they think their ball landed. Occasionally a ball will not land on the fairway, but into what I believe is call the 'rough'.  That means the golfer has to maneuver around the surrounding trees and taller grass.  At first I thought it was a joke a golf ball could go through a nearby living room window, however I now suspect that could actually happen.

I didn't really believe golfers would be on the course during inclement weather, I've since learned otherwise.  Now that winter is upon us, I've noticed once a week, two die hard gentlemen are out on the course just after dawn teeing off. They are wearing winter attire, including caps and rain boots teeing up and giving their golf balls one heck of a good whack. Then...and here's the best part...they each have huge black umbrellas attached to their rolling golf bags that for the most part keep their clubs dry, and (kind of, sort of) keep themselves a bit dry as well.  

I used to joke as to whether guys would be on the course if indeed there was a bit of snow on the ground.  So far I've not seen such a thing, but I've no doubt I just might in the future.  I say this because I know there are bright orange golf balls to be bought...or at least there used to be because I've seen them...and I think they would be easy to see against the white snow.  And, since just this morning I watched the two guys with the black umbrellas playing a 'round', I've no doubt they could possibly...very possibly play in the snow.  Now wouldn't THAT just be something to see!


Here are two important things I’ve learned: 1. After a round I notice many of the golfers stop at what seems to be a cleaning station, I say this because I hear water running and assume they are cleaning their rolling bags and possibly their clubs. 2.  The Club House is right there and I suspect many golfers drop in for a cold one…plus, I think this is where the camaraderie actually comes in.

I love living here, there is an abundance of entertainment, and it's all FREE.

Footnote:  Please remember, I'm not a professional writer, I do proofread and edit each piece, but you will find errors in spelling and grammar...that's life...I guess...so hang in there, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment