Monday, January 25, 2016

The lure of the outdoors

Okay, I know it is only the end of January and there is a great deal of winter left.  But, my goodness, what with having two crocuses blooming just outside my patio it is hard not to imagine spring and the lure to be out of doors.  Especially when the sun is brightly shining and wisps of cotton like clouds lazily meander across a silky powder blue sky.

Then add to that the fact it is comfortably warm, 62 degrees on my patio thermometer it is difficult to be sitting here working on my computer.  Already Zorro and I have been outside (just because) numerous times.  While he explores every inch of his 19 foot perimeter (so far) of yard I've been pulling out tiny clumps of grass that have begun to grow in the bark dust.  This has also given me the opportunity to discover bulbs coming up, unexpected treasures from previous tenants of my complex. Grape hyacinths appeared first, then crocus, and now daffodils. These are all in addition to the bulbs I planted in October.  In a month or so my tiny garden will be a mass of color.

I'm hoping on one of the shopping sprees with my daughter I can pick up some pansies and primroses as well.  It will be beee-uuu-teee-ful!  Color me excited.  I guess the optimist in me has me overlooking the fact we could still have snow and several good freezes making planting this early in the season a tricky business, but I intend to go on the assumption that if the stores are carrying the plants, it must be okie-dokie to buy and plant them.

I realize I'm not just hurrying through the season, as well as the newly started year but I simply can't help myself.  I blame it on today, this utterly beautiful, magnificent, glorious, all be it winter day.  I wish I had a bunch of seed/bulb/shrub catalogs to browse through, oh the things I would buy.  Mostly herbs when it comes to seeds, then maybe some canna, glad, dahlia bulbs and tubers.  And, should I forget perhaps a lilac, mock orange and flowering quince shrub for wonderful color and pleasing scent.

Oh the joy of tip-toeing through my imaginary garden on this glorious day.  Do you see it in your mind’s eye, do you smell it as you inhale deeply....I do....I do.

Postscript:  I just came back to my blog after viewing this posting on facebook and I discovered some of the words are highlighted in yellow...silly me, I edit these pieces in my Publisher program, and this morning when I pasted it back into my blog apparently I forgot to undo spell check first...silly, silly me.



No comments:

Post a Comment