Friday, January 29, 2016

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Yep, that would be me.  Yesterday I informed all of you that I used my microwave for every cooking need.  That was an out and out lie.  I do have a back-up cooking vessel.  Actually I have two.  They are both slow cookers.  One I use for soup and stews, the other I use for cooking chickens or game hens.  They are wonderful, and it would be so lovely if everybody had at least one.  Matter of fact when I bought my large one, it also had a little fondue sized cooker inside it, kind of a bonus I suspect.  The small one is the perfect size for warming up a package of cocktail weenies.  I use it A LOT!

But, I digress.

Fact of the matter is, I told you a whopper yesterday and I'm here today to say I'm sorry and to sing the praises of my cookers.  Every couple of months I get both of them 'doin' their thang' one with perhaps a Tortilla Soup, and the other with a good sized chicken with potatoes, carrots and what other vegetables I happen to have on hand like celery and onions.  My house sure smells good on Cook Day.

Recently I've seen infomercials on TV touting new cookbooks showing how you can 'dump' ingredients into your cooker and within hours you have a complete meal without having to put out any effort...well, hardly any effort.  I like that!!!  Then last month one of my favorite catalogs arrived and within its pages I found said cookbooks available for purchase.  Intrigued, I bought the one that promised it would prepare a complete meal.  So far I've used one recipe.

Here's the thing.  In my haste to prepare the meal, I 'dumped' the pasta in with everything else (another instance where I should have read the directions) and it dissolved into a thicker rather than distinctive pasta at meal time.  Not that it mattered, the meal was quite good.  However, it was after the fact I read the recipe which clearly stated "cooked pasta was optional" to be added closer to meal time.  Lesson learned!!!

Anyway, I just want to let you know, this morning I pulled one of my cookers off the shelf and inserted a game hen, some potatoes and onion. Already my house is beginning to smell pretty darn good.  Later I will probably open a can of green beans just to add a little color to my meal and perhaps a little jelled cranberry sauce would be a nice touch, too. Slow cookers are a wonderful thing!

As I close, you all well know I do exaggerate the truth sometimes, and I do have a vivid imagination, what with Frankie and Muse popping in from time to time, but I certainly don't want you to think I purposely tell fibs.  No sir-eee, bub, I'm not intentionally a liar, liar pants on fire.

Hey, would anybody like to buy The Brooklyn Bridge, I have it for sale 'on the cheap'?

No comments:

Post a Comment