Sunday, March 20, 2016

Quack, quack

As some of you might know, if you are also friends on Facebook, a pair of Mallards has found I'm a soft touch when it comes to all things nature.  After the terrible experience I had with Bird Lady several years back I've been very gun shy about feeding anything other than myself, Frankie, Muse, Zorro and CC, that's costly enough...but...Lord save a duck.

Yes, even though I promised myself I would not get involved with this fantastically handsome couple, I'm smitten.  The first time they came to call and I fell all over myself in a rush to find something for them to snack on while Frankie in frenzy warned me not to get involved.

I think I told her something along the lines that this was 'a onetime thing' and 'not to worry'.

She's been worrying ever since.  Those Mallards not only came back the next morning, within a few days when I opened my door to let Zorro out for the first time, they WERE WAITING FOR ME.  Of course Frankie was beside herself at this.  Some of my Facebook friends are a bit concerned as well. Most are giving me thumbs up, and I'm trying to reassure them that it is still okay, because I've not given them names so we are still JUST acquaintances.  

Frankie here...."Yeah, right!  Just acquaintances!"

No, no, it's true.  After all, this winter I did give names to Ebb Tide and Seamore Seagull didn't I?  I didn't feed them but we were very good friends.  Until I give the ducks names, we are simply, well, ducaintances.  (I sense Frankie is buying none of this.)

Here's the thing.  On one hand I think what I'm doing can't possibly get me into trouble because around here a lot of people feed the birds. It's not my fault seeds from my neighbors endeavors to feed our feathered friends fall to the ground just off my patio...right?  So perhaps the Mallards would have eventually found that seed and come to visit after all.  Such is the way of nature.

On the other hand, there are also quite a few geese that habitat here, and the golf course is not happy with them AT ALL.  The maintenance personnel frequently chase them about in their golf carts, and sometimes even fire off paint balls at them in an endeavor to frighten them away.   I fear if they see I'm encouraging my little couple to come for a snack I could be getting myself into big trouble.

Frankie here..."Ya' think!"

Still, they are such beautiful creatures I can't help myself; I guess I'm willing to take a risk.  Besides, they have become to depend on me.  This morning again they were waiting for me to open my door even though I had overslept and was running quite late.  Millie even returned later for an additional fill up.  Whoops....did I say Millie?  

Frankie here..."Uh-oh!  (Insert sigh here)."

Last night I went on line to inquire what ducks like to eat and I learned they enjoy corn, oats and some lettuce as well.  But, to not feed them bread although the website did not explain why.  So, I found a site that sold both corn and oats in 5 pound bags and bought some of both, while picking up lettuce when I go shopping will be easy.  I hope Millie and Maynard will stick around all summer to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Whoops...did I say Maynard?

Frankie here..."(Inert long, labored sigh here.)"

No comments:

Post a Comment