Monday, March 28, 2016

Ubiquitous


Ubiquitous.  What the heck?  I don't even know how to spell the word...or what it means so how come it was the first word that popped into my head this morning.  In my head I was spelling it Eubicquicis.  Of course I had to go to my computer and go to my dictionary app and try to look it up. I sent the dictionary into a tailspin.  It had no idea what word I wanted, and kept asking me if I meant this word or that word and none of them made any sense to me AT ALL.

I got more and more frustrated. I wondered if as I was falling asleep last night the TV show I was watching might have said the word and it got stuck in my subconscious mind.  After all the show I was watching was the old Alfred Hitchcock show on Me or We TV.  He loved to use the kinds of words I never did.  I think ubiquitous would just roll off his tongue like butter in a hot skillet.

I knew I had heard ubiquitous over my lifetime, but obviously I never needed to use it which is why I had to give my best shot on how it might be spelled.  After several tries finally the dictionary said, "Do you mean Ubiquitous?"  At that moment I had the revelation that this was indeed the word I wanted, and that I had actually seen this word in written form before.  I was half way home..now I just had to find out what it meant.  Somehow I thought it had some kind of religious connotation.

Here's what I learned.

Ubiquitous

Adjective:

Existing or being everywhere, especially at the same time; omnipresent: As in ubiquitous fog; ubiquitous little ants.  So, I guess if you believe in God you could say he is ubiquitous...existing or being everywhere at the same time.

It always amazes me the things that get stuck in my head.  I've not a clue when I would ever use this word, but let's see if I can try.  "The weather man told me today the sun is going to be ubiquitous in Oregon tomorrow."  Let me tell you I sure hope he's right; I need for that ubiquitous sun to warm my ubiquitously cold body.  Did I use ubiquitous in a proper manner?  I sure hope so, because whew, I'm exhausted!

No comments:

Post a Comment