Monday, July 7, 2014

My Winter House Guest...

...is

...is

...dead.

I was out drinking my morning cup of coffee, enjoying the cool air, the birds singing, and my flowers flowering.  It was a great start for the day.

Then, you know how something comes into view, at the very edge of your peripheral vision?  That happened.  Out of the corner of my eye, behind a potted fern I see a brown blob.  What the heck is that? Curiosity being what it is, caused me to put my mug of coffee into the other hand, and give the blob a push.

It didn't move.  Whatever this was, was not alive.  With my index finger I bring the blob out from behind the fern.  Hmmm.  I have to confess I did not recognize what this was.  Ah-ha, this thing was belly up, and I could now tell it had been deceased for quite a while, a simple shell of its former self.  Gently with my thumb and forefinger I turn it over.

Gasp!

It was Bobby.  My winter house guest.  I got him standing on what remained of his legs, and stared at him in dismay and sadness.  We had been together for a very long time, and seeing him is this state was very disheartening.  I could not believe our adventure had come to an end.  I guess now there is only one thing to do, make him a tiny little specimen box and add him to my Thoreau collection.



Goodbye Bobby.  Thanks for a wonderful friendship.  You will be missed....sigh...it never occurred to me you would ever die.

No comments:

Post a Comment