Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Am I the only one?

Okay, I know you regular readers have a pretty good idea I'm kind of a peculiar kind of a gal.  Like constructing a cardboard laundry room in my garage...then painting it white.  I also spent a day (literally) dragging two slightly used park benches from my back to front yard.  Oh, and lest we forget, there was the retaining wall and dirt moving project of a few years ago.

Then there are all those personal 'little' things I report on about becoming aged that nobody else will have the guts to report.  (No, I will NOT re-report them here.)

However, last night another peculiarity of mine pushed itself to the surface.  This is something I've noticed before, but always forgot about once I'd finished this particular 'thing'.

I worked in the yard a bit yesterday and I got some dirt under my fingernails.  Oh, I washed my hands several times afterwards, but as I was getting ready for bed I noticed there was still a bit of grime under the nails.  I have a specific old toothbrush for such occasions and I put a bit of liquid soap on the brush and began working the nails on my right hand.  Brush in my left hand, back and forth it went. I worked loose old cuticle on the top of the nails, and massaged under the nails removing particles of dirt.  I got a rhythm going...I could have written a song.

It was time to transfer the brush to my right hand and start the same routine on my left hand.  First loosening the cuticles and then I began to work on the dirt under the nails.  WAIT A MINUTE!  What the heck?  My right hand was not moving at all. Nope, I was holding it rigid, and my left hand was doing all the labor. Back and forth went my hand, the brush firmly anchored in my right fist.  Rub, rub, rub went my fingers back and forth across the brush, cuticles neatly loosened.

Time to work on the dirt under the nails.  Again, it was the left hand that did the work.  How odd. At this point I decided this was ridiculous, and tried to make my right hand make the toothbrush do all the work. OMG, that was soooooo hard, and clumsy,  and uncomfortable...and to make matters worse my poor left hand wanted to take charge so badly I thought my hands might come to blows.

It was absurd.  But, at the same time I was fascinated.  How did I not concentrate on this before?  And, how did I not realize just how dominant my left hand was.  Oh, sure, I've always done many, many things with my left hand, but this incident certainly brought it home.  I've concluded I'm one peculiar duck.

So, I washed my hands, admired my pushed back cuticles and clean nails then slipped that brush back into its holder.  Finally I reached for my tooth toothbrush. I uncapped the toothpaste tube with my left hand, spread the paste on the brush with my right, and then brushed my teeth with the brush in my left hand.  That hand snickering all the while.

Finally, ready for bed, my curiosity got the best of me, and I began to wonder whether I'm the only one who, when cleaning their nails with a toothbrush uses their dominant hand in the same manner as I?  I'm very perplexed...am I the only one?

No comments:

Post a Comment