Sunday, July 13, 2014

Staycation 3

We headed back to the USA on Friday, I knew going to be a long day on the road.  I spent a lot of time Googling the map trying to discover exactly what route we would be taking.  In particular I was looking for a place called the Crowsnest.  That should not have been difficult, and I could find 'images' of Crowsnests, problem was there were several, and I was not quite sure exactly which one I was looking for.  There are two major highways out of Banff, 93 or 1.  I Googled both.  Highway 93 eventually turns into highway 95, and takes about six hours and 45 minutes to reach our destination, Couer d'Alene; while highway 1 turns into 22 which turns into 3, which turns into 93, which eventually turns into highway 95 and eight hours and 45 minutes we arrive in Couer d'Alene. Naturally, I figured we'd take the shorter route and that's where my search began to look for the Crowsnest.

I zoomed in, I zoomed out...zoom, zoom, zoom.  I could not find the Crowsnest to save my soul.  I checked the itinerary again, yep, it states..."motor through a land of startling contrasts in Kootenai National Park and over the 'Crowsnest' to Couer d'Alene."  Hmmm.  I was about to give up, when I decide to try the longer route and lo, there it was...the Crowsnest.

The trip seemed very long to me, and a bit tedious, kind of like the trek from the coast of Maine (north) to the Canadian border, but to finally arrive at the stretch of highway for a view of the Crowsnest was something else and well worth the trip, the mountain rises majestically, as though pushed up from the belly of the earth by a great hand...and indeed, I guess it was.  Anyway, it is almost symmetrical, and looks like rings of terraces, (rock bands) of ash fall, sandstone, and pyroclastic rocks that are occasionally embedded garnets if you know where and how to look.  I learned it is an easy climb to the summit, and many visitors make the trek.

Moving along we eventually entered British Columbia and passed through little towns on route 3 like Fernie (pop: 4,000+) and Cranbrook (pop: 19,000+) eventually crossing the border back into America.  Couer d'Alene here we come.

Yesterday morning some of us took a breakfast tour of Lake Couer d'Alene, enjoying On-the-Water Dining aboard a lovely cruise boat.  As they relaxed in comfort and style, they perused a menu that offered choices of glazed ham, oven roasted turkey, club sausage, wood smoked bacon and sausage patties, Quiche Lorraine, Idahoan au gratin potatoes, scrambled eggs, chef’s pasta salad, fresh fruit, fresh breads, rolls and miniature desserts...so much to eat, so little time.  All the while they got to watch the beautiful panoramas of Lake Coeur d’Alene glide past outside the picture windows.  Actually, and to tell the truth, I didn't do this, as motion sickness overcomes me...especially on water.  Not a pretty picture.

However, finally, an afternoon was open and guess what?  WE WENT SHOPPING in beautiful Couer d'Alene.

Today we're back on the road headed to a place called McCall, Idaho...more to follow.




No comments:

Post a Comment