Thursday, July 10, 2014

Staycation

So, the adventure from my office continues.

After spending a few days in Calgary, we headed off to Banff.  Over the years I've heard a lot about Banff, and even know folks who have been there.  I've seen pictures of the magnificent Banff Springs Hotel, well at least from the outside.  Now thanks to the Internet I was able to catch a glimpse of the interior.  Trust me when I say it is very, very palatial.  I swear, with all the stonework, high ceilings, thick (looks like velvet) draperies that abound everywhere I envision castles of old. I imagine drafts moving the heavy wall trappings. I hear creaks echo, bouncing off the high ceilings and long, long hallways. This place much to beautiful, luxurious, and expensive to ever imagine me staying there.  Still we did partake of their lavish buffet, some pictures can be found of the food when I Googled images in the net.  I fear the folks actually eating this sumptuous food are sure to put on a few pounds.

However, what I liked most about the Banff adventure was the day at Lake Louise, with snow capped Mt.Victoria in the background, and a visit to Moraine Lake and glacier fed Peyto Lake where we rode in a huge snowcoach up to Athabasca Glacier where we stood on old snow, a thousand years old.  Can you imagine that?  The snowcoaches are quite comparable to the coaches that are used to observe the polar bears, except, of course, we did not see any polar bears.  Although, according to the pictures I've seen I imagine those actually making the trip to the glacier had the opportunity to see all sorts of creatures and of course beautiful flora as well. Fireweed, Lupine, Indian Paint Brush, Blue-eyed Grass and Alberta Rose to mention just a few.  We took the Icefield Parkway back to our lovely motel in Banff, and will pack up and take off for the good old USA in the morning heading for Couer d'Alene, Idaho.

Shoot, you'd think by now I'd be getting tired of all this research, but actually looking forward to the days to follow, I'm just excited as ever.  I think a chance to shop might be on the agenda soon, too...what do you suppose I just might buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment