Sunday, July 20, 2014

Good times

Okay, I admit it, I've had a crush on somebody...forever.  He's a good looking dude, dark curly hair, kind of rugged looking, bedroom eyes...yes, the kind of guy you would not mind having his slippers under your bed.  Sigh.  I've watched him from afar for more years than I can remember.  I've watched him age, which he has done much more gracefully than I.  But, then I think men do.

Of course, I'm talking about James Garner.

I've got a few mementos of him, an autographed picture, complete with certificate of authenticity, some pictures I've downloaded from the Internet showing him aging...still the handsome devil that he is, and a book with a synopsis of every single episode of his popular television series, The Rockford Files.

Now it's true, I don't know much about the man's personal life, but I can imagine he's exactly kind of man he portrayed in all the roles he chose to play.  Always a gentleman, always ready for deadpan comedy, always a sexy, sweet, kind lover.  Oh yes...I'm swooning.

There are of course more movie roles than I can possible list here that have been on the 'big screen' and television, and he's played with the biggest of female leads. Wish I could have been one of them.  However, I will list a few of my favorites here. Maverick, Support Your Local Sheriff, Murphy's Romance, Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood and My Fellow Americans.

But, my all time favorite film role is the one he played later in life, 1999 to be exact, in a made for television movie beside Dame Julie Andrews called One Special Night...oh dear, my throat is 'lumping up'.  It is perhaps the most touching love story you will ever, ever know.  I purposely will not divulge the plot so you can 'feel' the story as it moves along.

Then there were the TV series, Maverick and of course The Rockford File.  Who among us has not enjoyed both of those.  In the end though, I guess I have to say it was Jimmy Rockford that finally stole my heart. Dear, sweet, Jimmy, that living on the edge private detective, who got beat up, threatened, car-chased, car-wrecked but, went about setting things right while trying not to end up in jail himself in just about every episode, James Rockford. Man, I loved Jimmy.  He loved his dad, and would do anything for his friends.  He lived in a junkie trailer on the beach in Malibu, next to a restaurant I've actually had lunch...and dinner.  He, in the series, hung out there, too...wish we could have been there at the same time. But, such is life.

And, that's what brought about this blog today.  I've learned James Garner has passed away, and this is my lame attempt to honor him, and to let him know that even though we've never met, I've always been an adoring fan.

So, this one's for you Jimmy, this one's for you.

In loving memory, James Garner (born James Scott Bumgarner; April 7, 1928 – July 19, 2014).





No comments:

Post a Comment