Friday, August 8, 2014

I used to

...like watching "Mythbusters" then suddenly they went off the grid for a while, then came back sporadically, went off again, and now are back.  Sadly, they don't seem to have a particular time slot and I come across their shows mostly by accident.

Last night I was 'channel surfing' and (Insert musical notes) DA, DA.  There in the nine o'clock slot was a new episode of "Mythbusters" followed by another new episode at ten.  I was thrilled, it was like having friends stop by for a visit.

The first show was my favorite.  It dealt with driving myths.  As you all know, I don't drive, which is why (I think) I so enjoy shows (Fast and Loud-Orange County Choppers, etc), and events like the Indy 500 and drag races.

So when I saw they were going to explore driving myths, I was very intrigued.  The first one dealt with 'traffic jams'. What does it take to begin a traffic jam?  One would expect an accident, a car with a flat tire on the side of the freeway, an object thrown or fallen onto one of the lanes...something big, right?  Well, wrong, all it really takes is a person 'tapping his/her brakes' and slightly lowering their speed. Seriously!  That's all it took.  In no time at all 18 cars, going around in a very large circle ended up in a traffic jam.  It was amazing to watch.  One car applying it's breaks caused the 17 others to begin tapping their brakes, and the traffic jam began.

Then, another was which is better, a four way stop, or a round about?  What do you think?  In a fifteen minute period a four way stop allowed 300 some cars to go through the intersection, while the round about allowed over 400 vehicles to proceed through an intersection during the same time frame.  Again...amazing.
A police officer directing traffic through an intersection during the same time frame was the worst, allowing 200 some vehicles to go through the intersection...thank goodness we don't do that anymore...except in emergencies.

There were other myths, too.  But the other one that I enjoyed was when the young Mythbusters decided to prove...on a four hour trip, which is faster, traveling by car, or plane.  So, going from San Francisco to Los Angeles, who do you think won?  Was it the plane trip or the car?  Even thought the plane trip took the drive to the airport, going through check in and security, waiting for the flight to leave, actual flight time, arrival at the Burbank Airport, baggage retrieval, and car rental that trip was shorter by...(are you ready for this?). Seven whole minutes.  (However, the guy who took the plane had a great deal more fun, while the two in the car had to endure "99 bottles of beer on the wall", miles and miles of boring landscape, potty and gas breaks and eating 'fast food' on the road.)

Man, what a great hour.  In spite of never knowing when I will see the shows again, really wish the Mythbusters were on every week, or a least I knew for sure when they were going to be on so I would not miss any of the episodes.  I can only hope they don't get cancelled, although I know in my heart of hearts they will, eventually.  I will miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment