Friday, August 1, 2014

What's a body to do?

Okay, okay, okay...I confess.  When the first hot spell hit I was e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y tempted to call my local pizza delivery place and order some pizzas, wings and some pastas too so I would not have to heat up my own kitchen by cooking.

In the end, I decided against that, after all this kind of food is (supposedly) not good for you...fat, cholesterol, calories, etc. etc.  Instead I went about cooking up a batch of baked beans and making homemade salads, even opening cans of pickled beets and three bean salad.  The food lasted through the heat wave, I felt smug and quite proud of myself.

Then, this second heat wave came.  Dang, I was sick and tired of salads, beans and pickled beets.  I could not...would not be eating any of those.

When I was watching television night before last, I was hungry, but didn't know what I wanted to eat and frankly had no energy to prepare a meal.  Sure I could open a few cans of vegetables and fruit and come up with something, I simply didn't want to.  Then, there it was...a commercial for my favorite pizza place. THEY HAD DEALS.  REALLY, REALLY GRRREAT DEALS.

I try to resist, the commercial will be over in 30, 29, 28....15, 14, 13 seconds and that delicious food will disappear from my TV screen.  Frankie enters the room waving a limp stick of celery looking glummer than the kid that got kicked out of Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory...oh, dear, food again.

Frankie:  "Here's the deal.  You fix something to eat and I won't kill you."
Me:  (Mildly interested) “Well, that's a little harsh."
Frankie:  "I mean it.  I want food, substantial food.  There's tons of stuff in the kitchen, go fix something."
Me: (Sprawled on the sofa) “You know how to cook, you fix something."
Frankie:  (Dramatically falling into a chair) "It's too hot, I don't have the energy, I don't want to."
Me:  "Well, neither do I."

We do the stare down.

Another commercial fills my TV screen; this one advertises a sandwich, chips and a drink for five bucks.  Oh my, that sandwich looks good.

Frankie:  "Do they deliver?"
Me:  "Nope."

Silence, except for the sounds of stomachs growling.

Another commercial advertising meats being BBQed.  I swear I could smell them.

Now, I honestly don't know who 'blinked first', but we both reached the computer at the same time.  Both with the same thought...food.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but in my beautifully alphabetized 'favorites list' is the name of a particular pizza place.  When I log in, they cheerfully say, "Hi Sandra, welcome back.  What can we do for you today?"

Duh!

If you please...

...two pizzas, two pastas (with bread sticks) and a bucket of wings.  Yep,...real food, (totally not good for you) food will be at my front door in approximately 30 minutes.

Hello, Pizza Guy!

Frankie and I break these items into manageable packages, (nibbling on chicken wings as we work) we freeze some, refrigerate others and then return to our seats with a plate full of food to resume watching all those murders on our favorite mystery channel.

Soon the sounds of tummy growls are gone.

Buuuuuurrrrrrrrppppppppppp!

No comments:

Post a Comment