Thursday, July 11, 2013

My winter house guest.

Yesterday my blog was about Ladybugs.

One of my readers posted a question on facebook, under my blog, "Today's blog brings up a question, what happened to your "friend" that you had wintering in your home? Inquiring minds want to know.

Back on January 9th, my blog was about that house guest.  It was a Shield Bug.
How it came to be in my house to begin with is a mystery, why it stuck around for so many months, I've no idea.  I would not see it for long periods of time only to find it in some peculiar place.  As I reported in my January blog, I didn't have the heart to throw it out into the winter cold and we lived in harmony.  I was always curious how it was surviving, and as I reported in that blog, I learned it liked to munch on fresh green beans...but who has fresh green beans on hand in the middle of winter. 
So, I had to keep hoping it would continue to survive on its own until it got warm enough I could tenderly, carefully transport it out of doors. 
 
After my January encounter with my shield bug...by the way the picture shown is my actual bug, I didn't see it again for quite a while.
 
I don't exactly remember when I saw my house guest again, although I suppose it was in March sometime.  I don't remember where I saw it, either.  However, I do remember being happy about the encounter because I knew in my heart of hearts this was the time to set it free.
 
But, I was sad, too.  I don't know the life expectancy of Shield Bugs, but I was pretty darn sure once I had re-introduced it to the wild I would never see my armored friend again.  So, with a tinge of regret, I opened the sliding door screen, walked over to a potted evergreen and gently placed it on a branch.
 
I thought it would immediately fly away.  It didn't.  It sat, and sat, and sat.  Finally I could longer stand there watching and I returned to the house.  Later in the day I remembered I had set the Shield Bug free and went to check on it.  It was gone.  I've not seen it since.
 
Okay, realistically I know I will never see that Shield Bug again.  I hope it found a mate and did 'what comes naturally', I hope some of its descendants are still around.  I really, really hope, the tale of the 'Wintering Over in Rambling Old Woman's House' has been told over and over again and come September I find a Shield Bug meandering through my Morning Room.  It will be welcomed and I hope it spends the winter.  I might even buy some green beans.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment