Thursday, September 25, 2014

Chevrons

Ever since I started my store, I go on line and check out what colors are going to be popular that particular holiday season.  I just got done doing that last week.  One of the web-sites as well as having the popular colors also stated that the frosted/icy look is going to be 'in' this year as well as 'chevron patterns'.  Okay, I can easily do the frosted/icy look thanks to one of my computer programs, however, the 'chevron' what-ya-ma-call-it kind of threw me a curve.  Well, a chevron isn't really a curve, it's a "V".

I immediately went to my clip art program and type in chevron.  I got nuttin'.  Okay, maybe chevrons fall under some other category and I do some investigating.  Again, I got nuttin'.  I decide I will make my own.  I type in 'holiday borders' and a lot of borders do indeed come up, and I cut and paste them into my publishers program.  Now the trick is to move them around till they look like a "V".

Remember how we learned things in school and thought to ourselves...And, when in my lifetime am I ever going to use this?  Well, even though I didn't actually use mathematical computations, having studied angles, quadrilaterals, hexagons, etc it was very helpful I had learned about them and was finally using them. My first couple attempts were not terrific.  I had a hard time keeping the chevrons in a straight line. Even using the rulers (thank goodness I learned how to use them as well) along the vertical and horizontal edges of my program, I could not get them the exact size and shape.  I even tried making 'text boxes' and confining them in that, but they still weaved out over the edges of the box.

Then, I got 'clipped up side the head' by a proverbial two by four, and the a-ha moment came.  Make one chevron, and then rather than try to duplicate the first by making a second, simply 'copy' the first and paste it up against it.  Oh, my gosh...worked like a charm.  Man, I was off and running. Sadly after all the time and labor I've put into all these chevrons, I've discovered I'm not fond them, but I've decided at least I'm going to try to use them some how in my upcoming holiday merchandise.

Anyway, the gist of this blog is, that you just never know when all those things you've learned in school and you thought you'd never use, might some day actually be useful.  For instance, whatever has happened to cursive writing, good old-fashioned math...but, those are whole other blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment