Thursday, September 18, 2014

Ecstasy

Ecstasy (Dictionary.com)

[ek-stuh-see]

noun, plural ecstasies.
1.
rapturous delight.
2.
an overpowering emotion or exaltation; a state of sudden, intense feeling.
3.
the frenzy of poetic inspiration.
4.
mental transport or rapture from the contemplation of divine things.

Okay, okay, I know ecstasy is a pretty drastic word to be using to describe what I felt when I pulled open my bedroom drapes to find my world WET.  But, I was ecstatic.  It was beautiful, the sidewalk was wet from stem to stern, the leaves on the trees were dripping, and (because I didn't believe and collapse them last night) the folding chairs on my patio had puddles of water collected in the middle of the seats.

I raced around the house, making my furry creatures wait for their breakfast and threw open all the windows and took deep, deep breaths. The earth smelled woodsy, as though brought out of a long but troubled slumber.  And the air...oh, the marvelous, marvelous smell of 'wet' clung there, I had almost forgotten rain smells.  It was wonderful, it was glorious, it was magnificent.  I was ecstatic.

If I had been dressed I would have gone outside and danced in it.

Frankie, (of course) thought I was nuts that a few raindrops would send me into such a state and that I certainly was overreacting, stating she hoped I felt the same come January after we had rain for thirty days in a row.

It's true, come January I might not feel the same about the rain, but I hope that come the middle of winter I remember this summer, and how ugly my world came to look.  After years and years of nurturing shrubs and trees it was quite worrisome to see their leaves wilt, and begin to drop to the ground...I stewed, I fretted.  Oh, how I wanted to water, and I did twice when I got so concerned I feared the shrubs and trees would die.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't because we were in a drought that I didn't water, but because my water/sewer bill is so exorbitant I simple could not afford to water.

So it was this morning when I saw that God had finally blessed us with his wonderful, glorious, magnificent rain, I was ecstatic.

Ecstasy  

1.
rapturous delight.  (Indeed I was filled with great happiness and joyful gratitude.)
2.
an overpowering emotion or exaltation; a state of sudden, intense feeling. (I was overcome with a lightness of heart and felt like dancing and singing, neither, by the way, I do well.)
3.
the frenzy of poetic inspiration.  (I am overcome with inspiration, and that is why I'm sitting here writing, my words not doing justice to the raw emotions I feel.)
4.
mental transport or rapture from the contemplation of divine things. (Oh yes, I'm definitely contemplating divine things, because only divine intervention has caused the uplifting of my spirit that has transported me and my world to a cleansing wash only God could provide.) 

Oh yeah, I'm ecstatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment