Monday, September 15, 2014

So,

last Monday I went to see my doctor.  It went pretty well, except she was not happy that I don't exercise.  I kind of told her a little white lie and said I exercised two days a week.  I don't, but I figured working in the yard and doing laundry and 'stuff' counted as exercise.

Anyway, after she wrote me a note on my 'exit' paper work that I needed to exercise before I do anything else during the day, I took it to heart.  And, reluctantly, the very next day I began to do a workout.  I was over ambitious of course.  Wednesday my muscles ached pretty bad, and I backed off and only exercised for then minutes.  Dang, if only she hadn't written that note!!!!!  Dang, if only I had not taped it to the bottom of my computer monitor!!!!!!!  

Begrudgingly, every morning after I've fed CC and Zorro, I go through the angel, devil thing.  

Angel:  (In disgustingly sweet voice)  "Come one, Sweetie, time for exercise, you promised."
Devil:  (Leaning out over my double chins, glaring at Angel) "What the heck, Sandra, who's going to know if you exercise or not?  You know your computer is calling you."
Angel: (Halo a bit askew) "Don't listen to him, you know every time you do, you have to pull yourself out of muck and mire,"
Devil:  (Laughing heartily) "But, you know you're in pain, you know you hate all the e-f-f-o-r-t exercise takes.  Come on, grab you cup of coffee and let's get to work.  Times a-wastin'"
Angel:  "But, you promised, and a promise is a promise. It's only a few minutes out of your day, and you know the pain is eventually going to go away."

I realize Angel is right, I do owe it to my doctor to at least give this a try, however, I also can see Devil's side, I've become a lazy, slob of a person, and I kind of like it.  Besides, pain....well, pain hurts.  And I've been feeling pain for the last six days, although the more muscles I use on a daily basis, the fewer muscles there are to get back into shape. Plus, if I work out this morning it will be one full week spending time being physical.  Three more weeks and I'll have formed a habit, it should be easy sledding after that.

Devil:  "Come on, you gave it a shot, you know you don't like this new routine."
Angel:  "But, you've come so far, you can't give up now."
Devil:  (pitchfork just below my earlobe...prodding me) "Your office chair is waiting."
Angel:  "So is your exercise mat."

Oh, deary me, deary me.  What to do, what to do?  The simple answer is I want to put this exercise dilemma behind me and slink back into my old lazy, slobbish life, and...I would except...I'm finding Angel is right, my aching muscles are subsiding, I think they are getting stronger, and I sure hate to admit this...I'm feeling better, breathing better and I have a lot more energy.

Take a hike, Devil, I'm going to give this new regiment the best shot I can.  Three more weeks is all I need to establish a brand new life style.

No comments:

Post a Comment