Tuesday, December 23, 2014

And the days dwindle down...

to a precious few.

I don't know where the year went.   Wasn't January a week ago?

I remember when I was young....(mumble, mumble)years ago, my older relatives would say that the older they got the faster time sped by.

I didn't understand, and I waltzed through my teens, twenties and even my thirties as though my life was a ride on a flying carpet.  Every year started with Winter, I didn't mind Winter, except for the cold...and snow.  Spring followed, with pinks, yellows, blues and greens as my world wakened from slumber.  Then came magical Summer, vacations, sunbathing, coffee with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.  Summer eventually, slowly evolved into Autumn and the circle of life started over again with the Winter Solstice.

Then, something happened.  Oh my lord, I turned forty...and I think my world hiccuped, and went slightly a-kilter, because the days began to go by much more quickly.  I found myself saying what my older relatives used to say, to anybody who would listen.  "Isn't time moving faster these days?"

Oh me, oh my.  How could this be?  I decided that maybe if I stopped waltzing and walked instead, I could slow things down.  WELL THAT DIDN'T WORK. 

And every year since, each year speeds by slightly quicker than the one before.  What makes matters worse that by the time I hit fifty, I noticed it wasn't just years that were speeding by, but decades. Crap!  Winter....wizzzz, Spring.....zippppp, Summer....wooooosh, Autumn....Zinggggg. Turns out, even though there are still, and only 24 hours in the day, there are some that simply don't have enough time, tick-tock, tick-tock.  Seriously, where did Saturday go?  Sunday?  Yesterday?

Here's the thing.  I've noticed my children suddenly saying things like, "Where did the time go?" "I can't believe it's December already, where did the year go?"  If time is moving more quickly for them, it's no wonder I'm in a tizzy most of the time, my years must be almost spinning out of control.  I don't even have anything to hang on to, except my wits...so let's hope I don't lose them...yet!

But...

Wasn't January a week ago?

No comments:

Post a Comment