Sunday, December 21, 2014

It's here, it's here

Yes, today is the first day of winter, it has been a strange year, weather wise, and I think it is going to end just as strangely.  By now the daily temperatures should fluctuate ten to fifteen degrees, I like that, it's consistent.  I can count on grey skies, a few sun breaks, and rain, lots and lots of rain.  I can also count on (maybe) a week that I have to deal with melting snow. I'm not crazy about that, but I can count on it, I can deal with it.

I enjoy watching the snow add up on the mountain tops, 100 inches there about, I can count on that.  Skiing is very big here in the Pacific Northwest, by now the slopes should be covered in white with all the ski lifts hummmmming, transporting skiers up the mountainside well into the night.

This year...not so much.  The temperatures have been unusually high, and there is very little snow at the moment...the first day of winter...and, we are desperately trying to maintain normal rainfall.  It was not going well...until yesterday, when we finally had substantial rain, and some local flooding.  I believe we were supposed to have a pretty rainy day today as well, but so far, it is just grey and gloomy.

Frankly, all I really want for Christmas is a normal winter.  I want the skiers to have feet of snow to swoosh on, racing rivers to accommodate all the fish returning to the places they were born.  I want the kids to have a few snow days so they can drag their sleds up and then slide down the hills over on the school property.

Yes, although I'm not particularly crazy about the ugly, dirty, days old snow, I do want to stand at my front door and bay window and watch all those lazy, meandering, crazy shaped snow flakes falling onto my front lawn.

Man, I miss normal.  Come on, normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment