Monday, December 15, 2014

Fa,la, la, la.........la......la, la, la.......la

Boy, oh boy, am I in a mood this morning.

I've got Christmas Carols and Christmas songs going round and round in my brain, I'd like to play some of my CD's this morning but I know they would bring on an avalanche of tears and blubbering, so I'm content with snippets of those musical pieces roaming free across my aging grey matter.

I admit, I've got some favorites...and have for years.  My absolute most favorite is 'I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day', and I guess one of my least favorites is 'The Drummer Boy'.  I know, I know...go ahead, chastise me, whomp me up side the head.  It's just when it first came out and it was played over and over and over and o-v-e-r I started to pull my hair out. I'm also not particularly fond of 'Oh, Tannenbaum' either...I know, I know, I deserve a second whomp, go ahead it will make you feel good.

On the up side, there are many, many more songs I do like compared to those I don't.  For instance 'White Christmas' is close to the top of my favorites, as is 'I'll Be Home for Christmas', 'The Christmas Song', 'The Christmas Waltz', 'Jingle Bells', and even 'I Saw Mama Kissing Santa Claus'.

But the one that is my most fun is a little ditty, titled 'Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer'. Oh, my gosh, how great would that be?  Cracks me up.  Oh, I want to be that grandma!

According to Wikipedia this song was written by Randy Brooks, and was originally performed by the husband-and-wife duo of Elmo and Patsy Trigg Shropshire in 1979.  And, I'm sure you've heard the song quite a few times, but have you really, REALLY listened to the words, they are hysterical. I love, love, love this song.  And so, for your reading enjoyment, and my giggling pleasure, I present to you the following lyrics.



Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer

Grandma got run over by a reindeer
Walking home from our house Christmas eve
You can say there's no such thing as Santa
But as for me and Grandpa, we believe

She'd been drinkin' too much egg nog
And we'd begged her not to go
But she'd left her medication
So she stumbled out the door into the snow

When they found her Christmas mornin'
At the scene of the attack
There were hoof prints on her forehead
And incriminatin' Claus marks on her back

Now we're all so proud of Grandpa
He's been takin' this so well
See him in there watchin' football
Drinkin' beer and playin' cards with cousin Belle

It's not Christmas without Grandma
All the family's dressed in black
And we just can't help but wonder
Should we open up her gifts or send them back?

Now the goose is on the table
And the pudding made of pig
And a blue and silver candle
That would just have matched the hair in Grandma's wig

I've warned all my friends and neighbors
Better watch out for yourselves
They should never give a license
To a man who drives a sleigh and plays with elves

Grandma got run over by a reindeer
Walkin' home from our house, Christmas eve
You can say there's no such thing as Santa
But as for me and Grandpa, we believe!

Oh, best grandma, ever...this is the the story I would love my grand kids to tell their friends that I was drinkin' too much eggnog and got run over by a reindeer...what a way to go.  By the way, open and keep the gifts, get rid of the black, wear ugly Christmas sweaters, eat the goose and the pudding, watch football and drink a beer.

Here's to good ole' grandma, who got run over by a reindeer.



No comments:

Post a Comment