Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Ooops

Sometimes things happen totally out of anybody's control.  All you can do is see the humor in it, and move on.  My next door neighbor's daughter is staying with them for a while.  She has two dogs. Their yard is very small, so I said they could use my back yard for a little more space for them to roam.  So far it's been working pretty well.  Sometimes they give Zorro a fright when I put him out not realizing they are out as well, and they come bounding over to my little garden fence to say hello. (I put the fence there to keep Zorro from making unexpected visits to her kitchen to munch her kitty's kibble.) Though the dogs are both friendly, they are quite a bit larger than my pooch, and mine being such a chicken around other dogs, high-tails it to my sliding door.

Anyway, as I say this routine has been working well, when they want to use my back yard they politely open and close my little garden gate each and every time.

Ooops, night before last something went a-miss. I have a little garden of shrubs running along the wall of my morning room and while my neighbor's daughter's dogs were out for their final 'business run', one of them saw some creature (probably a mole) tunneling in the garden.  Now, no dog in its right mind could overlook a temptation like that, and he worked, (dug) mightily to catch the creature. In the meantime, dirt and ground cover went helter-skelter.  Oh, that dog had a high old time!

Yesterday morning when I opened my drapes I noticed my neighbor had made alterations to her deck gate making it impossible for anybody or thing to get on or off the deck.  I was very curious.  It happened I saw her as she was getting ready to leave for work and inquired if there was a problem of some sort, as it was strange her deck gate was closed...it never is.

She proceeded to tell me about the 'dig', and said she couldn't really talk but that she had written me an e-mail to explain.  Overcome with curiosity I turned on my computer and read her note.  Oh my, she was so apologetic, and embarrassed that her dog had done damage to my garden.

Now I was even more curious and made a beeline to check out the garden. Oh...my...goodness. I started to laugh...her dog had had one heck of a good time digging.  He followed the creature's trail all along the outer edge of the garden for quite a distance.  It was a very neat dig...there weren't piles, the dirt was evenly distributed along the dig.  Seriously, there was no way I could have been angry or upset about what the dog had done, his work was as professional as though a construction worker had dug a trench. Matter of fact considering how hard he had worked at digging I wish he would have caught whatever it was, he should have enjoyed the fruits of his labor.

Also, on the up side of this ooops, that soil sure got a good aeration, since I never think of taking a hoe and loosening the soil in any of my gardens, ever.

So it was sometime yesterday afternoon my neighbor placed the dirt back where it belongs.  She did a darn good job, too.  I might lose a little of the ground cover, but it was overgrowing the garden anyway, so I don't much care about the loss.

I guess since I'm older things like a dog's dig, or a stupid, frail bamboo fence attached to my white vinyl one with 'floral wire' don't bother me a bit.  Heck, "...a trouble's a ton, or a trouble's an ounce, or a trouble is what you make it"...and a bit of dirt flung hither and yon by an exuberant pup, for me is not a trouble at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment