Wednesday, February 25, 2015

This blog is...

...about the Bible, so, if this subject offends you, this is the place to stop reading.  That's your right and I respect that.

Over the years, and on my own I've studied the Bible a lot.  I've read it cover to cover twice.  Both times I learned many things but I always felt something was missing.  So, I mentioned that to my Bible Study mentor, saying "I know what happens in the Bible, but I don't really know the 'people' in the Bible, I wish I could learn about the people."

To my absolute delight the next week she showed up with one of their publications called "Imitate Their Faith".  And, over the year we learned about the Bible figures Abel, Noah, Abram, Ruth, Hannah, Samuel, Abigail, Elijah, Jonah (my favorite), Esther, Mary and Joseph (Jesus earthly mother and father), Martha an finally Peter (my second favorite). Oh, I can't wait to meet them in paradise...the questions I want to ask.

Sadly, last week we finished the book, we have the conclusion to go which we are going to try to stretch out to at least two or maybe three weeks.  Then we are hoping we might be privy to a miracle and a new book comes out with additional personalities in the Bible.  I hope, I hope.

I can't tell you just how much I've learned from these historical people, and how much I want to spent the rest of my life imitating their faith.  For instance I learned from Peter when he asked Jesus how many times he was required to forgive someone who sinned against him...the law of at the day said "only three", Peter wanting to sound generous asked Jesus, "Up to seven?"  Imagine his surprise when his Lord replied, "Not up to seven, but up to seventy-seven times."  See how we've strayed from what is expected of us?  We can barely admit we've made a mistake much less forgive even once.

Oh, I'm the most guilty of all.  How long did I hold a grudge against Bird Lady?  And, who was I really hurting by doing so?  Certainly not her. And, surprisingly once I let go of the grudge and forgave her the weight was lifted from my heart and life was good again.

So, you see, I have learned a great deal from all the people in the Bible, they were human, they had frailties, some were reluctant to do the job God set forth for them to do. Some had to endure hardship, some acted totally out of love for their fellow man. I want to spend the rest of my life becoming a better Christian and imitate the faith of my Bible brothers and sisters...I don't think the road will be easy, I don't think it's supposed to..I don't think I want it to...I think I will learn to be a better person by making some mistakes along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment