Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Ash tree

I think, long, long time ago I wrote about the ash tree in my neighbor's back yard. When we move here a bazillion years ago, the tree was a sapling, and the house was vacant at the time, so I took it upon myself to shape and trim the ash giving it a chance to grow in a more healthy manner.  I took pity one the tree, because, like our house, that house was a rental, and the management company didn't seem to give a hoot about the property.  While the owners of the property (a construction company) didn't seem to give a hoot either.

Since I had time on my hands, LOL, and I had a love of all growing things I figured, what the heck, if in the future they whack the tree down, at least for a while I'm giving it a fighting chance.  Over the years, the property sold and changed hands several times, but each new owner spared the tree which has now reached maturity.

Over the years, wind and weather has damaged and changed the appearance of the tree, so that some of the branches make the tree look as though it is being 'held up' or about to be 'mugged'.  Some of the branches have been removed, and the scarring has formed an "O" mouth, and two sad looking eyes.  I can't tell you how much enjoyment this tree has given me over the years.

We all get old, and although the spacing between the mouth and the eyes as spread apart, it still looks like a face, the arms still extended in fright.  But, this winter something new has been added, an odd shaped eyebrow as well as a peculiar beard and mustache of bright green moss.  He's turned out to be quiet a peculiar looking gentleman.

Still, I'm thrilled nobody has ever tried to bring this fellow down to a stump, because aside from becoming a good friend, in the summer he provides wonderful, cooling shade that protects my home from the hot August sun.  I would miss him terribly.

I guess it's strange such things as an ash tree, or an eagle , or a wolf  affect us in a tender, loving way, but I think they all help to shape us to become the people we are. Nature is a wondrous thing, hmmm...I think I'm going to go out today and hug a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment