Sunday, February 22, 2015

Tick-tock, tick-tock

It's 1 AM.

Frankie is already  in bed, I've finished work on the computer and trying to play a game of Hearts. Things are not going well...stupid Queen of Spades.  I decide it's time I hit the sheets as well.

Me: "Mumble, mumble, mumble, gripe, sputter, mumble, mumble."

I'm walking through the house.  It was a beautiful day, I had the windows open as well as the sliding door, and (apparently) I forgot to close some of the windows when it got dark and the house had gotten quite cold. So, as I'm getting ready for bed, I'm heating up my rice socks to warm my cold tootsies. This time of year I keep the socks on top of my refrigerator 'just in case'.  I've already heated two of them, but when I reach for the third my fingertips hit nothing but the top of the fridge, I feel around....the third and fourth socks are not where they (dum, dum, dum) should be. I'll be dang, two of them are missing,

As I've mentioned before (frequently) I can't multi-task anymore, and I figure I must have put the missing two socks down (somewhere) as I went through the house closing windows hence:


Me:  "Mumble, gripe, sputter, mumble."

By now I'm not being quiet about this whole business, I'm slamming doors and kitchen drawers.

Me:  "Where the heck did I put those two socks?"

Zorro has joined the search.

Frankie:  (Scratching her butt and yawning.)  What's ya' doin'?"
Me:  "My socks, I can't find two of my rice socks.  I must have put them down somewhere and now I can't find them."

Frankie is full of useless questions, did I check here, did I check there?

Me:  "Yes, yes, yes, yes....yes."
Frankie:  "Do you really need all four? Can't we look for the other two tomorrow morning?"
Me:  "Of course we could, but I don't want to.  I want those socks and I want them NOW."

Ever practical Frankie suggests perhaps I absent mindlessly slipped the cold ones between the sheets along with the heated ones.  I look at her like she's nuts, but we head to the bed to look.  Nope, only the two heated ones were there, doing a dang good job too, I might add.

We're checking all the rooms (again), even the ones neither Frankie or I had visited during day. We got 'nuttin'...I confess I'm ready to give up and decide Frankie is right, in the morning with a clear head, I will find the missing socks.  I'm distressed, I hate leaving a job undone. But, I brush my teeth, turn off the bedroom heat and slip into bed.

Me:  "Sigh!"

I get comfortable, Zorro eases himself under the covers beside me and CC decided to join us.  She wants to settle on my chest, but since I'm working a crossword puzzle I need that space myself and straighten out my legs so she can lay there.

My foot touches some kind of a lump.  "What the heck is THAT?"  I say in a rather loud voice.

Frankie comes running into the room.

I secure the object between my feet and pull my legs up toward my chest till I can physically grab the lump.

It's one of the missing socks.  (Color me meek, flustered and very, very embarrassed.) Yes, apparently I had forgotten to remove them from the bed when I made it in the morning.

Frankie is darn near hysterical, rolling around on the bed hugging her sides.  I hate when she does that.  Not only do I have to fess up to pulling a stupid stunt, I have to endure the humiliation of Frankie's glee...yes, glee.  She loves it when something happens that I can't blame on her.

Eventually she gets done with her giggles and goes back to bed, while I trudge back out to the kitchen.  Oh, you bet ya'...I'm not going to throw those missing socks on top of the fridge...I'm warming those suckers up...they're going to bed with me.

It's 1:30 AM.


No comments:

Post a Comment