Tuesday, February 3, 2015

What's on my mind

Every day Facebook asks me what's on my mind.  Sometimes I respond with something silly, sometimes something I think is profound.  Sometimes I just write 'whatever'.

This morning I simply wrote I have concern on my mind.  I guess that sounds pretty stupid on the surface, but I am concerned, in particular about my beloved eagles nesting in Decorah, Iowa.  A couple of years ago they built a new nest, and the first year the eaglets thrived, and went on to live independent lives.

Last year the babes did not fare as well.  First one of them was attacked by an owl, and almost didn't make it, then the nest was infested with some sort of gnats that nearly ate the eaglets alive.  As the days went by I could tell they were thinking they had to get out of there in order to survive, and (personally) I think they fledged too soon.  Before long two of the eaglets were gone.  The third, I think probably the one who had been attacked, was left alone, still fighting off the horror of the gnats.

Oh, the parents still came to bring food, so the eaglet was not totally abandoned, but it wanted out of there very, VERY badly, and soon it fled.  However, it didn't do well, stayed close to the nest, and the parents were always close by.

Then one day it was reported one of the eaglets had been electrocuted coming in contact with a local power line.  It was a devastating loss.   Soon after, one of the eaglets had to be rescued, and sent to a rehab center.  It appeared to be the one that had been attacked by the owl.  After weeks and weeks of care it was established it would never survive in the wild and is being trained to be part of a program to teach us about the magnificent eagle.

The third eaglet was tagged, and being monitored daily as it becomes more and more independent and familiar with Iowa's terrain.

As I write, the eagle nest, known as N2, is being prepared for this years aerie. However, (and here is my concern) while the parents are preparing the bowl, a pair of owls is also trying to 'take over' the nest.  They are by no means trying to work on the nest to make it a home, they are simply invading, causing the eagles much distress.  Still, they seem to think the owls will eventually give up and go away.  As for me, I don't think so.  Soon it will be time for mama eagle to lay her eggs.  I have great concern for her, if night time attacks take place.  And, I have exceptional concern for the eggs once they are laid, as they will make one delicious meal for the owls. Then, my concern will be for the babies, so vulnerable, naked, blind, innocent and totally unable to defend themselves.  Oh, the parents will do their level best to protect and defend their offspring, still I fear there will be many battles over the nest, eggs and babies.

Considering all the time the owls are 'wasting' over the eagle's nest, I have to wonder if they are working on a nest of their own.  It seems to me they are not.

Therefore, what's on my mind today is concern.  N2 so far, has not been a great success for the Decorah eagles, I secretly wish they had continued to use N1 for their home.  However, we can't go back in time, and we will have to hope this year's aerie in N2 will thrive; trust me, if things do not go well it will not be because of the lack of good parenting.  Mom and dad will work their wings off to provide for the eaglets. There is, of course, natures 'survival of the fittest' over which we have no control...unforeseen, unexpected things happen. I for one, will worry, fret, fret and worry until this year's babies leave the nest and eventually begin families of their own.

I wish you well, Decorah eagles, stay safe, stay strong.


No comments:

Post a Comment