Friday, January 30, 2015

January

This month has been crazy.  Busy, too.

I'm gradually collecting all my paperwork so I can do my taxes next month, I'm putting together a folder of Senior Complexes, with the hope later this year (if I can sell my house) to move into one, and what with the weather having made January much like March I've been working outside, too.

I finally pulled down all the hops that grow around my garage door in the summer, trimmed my vine hydrangea and pulled out last year's dead annuals.  Oh...of course, weeds are already wanting to overtake the flower gardens so as I make my way to and from the mailbox every day I've been pulling a handful of them to plop into the yard debris container.

I tell, ya, I've been working my fanny off.

There are daily chores to be done as well, you know, empty-fill the dishwasher, prepare something to eat, work from 8 till noon, exercise for at least 30 minutes in the morning...there's always ALWAYS something to do.

I was watching a clip on Facebook this morning, it was an old guy who claims the best way to stay young is to "never leave the playground".  At first I thought 'this guy is nuts', but after watching the clip in its entirety I realized he was physically doing things to stay young what Lumosity does to keep us mentally young.  I started to wonder if I could somehow get better at keeping myself young in both departments. Could I find the time, and still do all the other 'stuff' I actually do in a day?

I've been exercising for almost five months now, and I have noticed I do have more energy.  For instance instead of allowing empty water bottles to accumulate on the kitchen counter until I finally make a trip to the garage to the recycle bin, I actually walk the extra 25-30 feet each time to plunk the plastic bottle into its receptacle, thereby adding steps to my day, and hopefully burning a few calories in the process.

Then, last week dragged out my dust covered,wicker basket that holds my exercise equipment (LOL), hoping to increase some muscle to my wrinkled old body.  I have two pound ankle weights, and three pound hand weights and have begun to integrate them into my program every day.  Sometimes I don't even take the ankle weights off right away.  I also (some time ago) bought one of those Pilates resistant tubing-with handles, and have started using that this week...the the tube with the least resistance (of course).  So far, so good.

Somewhere, (also covered in dust) I've got some five pound hand weighs, maybe I can work my way up to using them.  MAYBE...if I can find them.

Here's the thing.  I used to be able to stay up working till 3 AM, flop into bed, sleep till dawn and get up, thinking I had filled my days with all sorts of good, healthy activity.  Oh, brother!  What a joke. Basically I sat...at my computer all morning...on my sofa all afternoon...with short walks to and from the fridge, mailbox and trips to the door to let Zorro out and in.  Ah, yes, that was the good life. Now, I'm getting ready for bed around 10 PM and under the covers shortly thereafter.  I do my daily Bible reading, watch a little TV, and am shortly off to LaLa Land.  Boy, do I sleep!!!  Ah, yes, that is the good life.

Anyway, I think the old guy was right.  The secret to staying young is to "never leave the playground".  All morning I've been trying to think up ways to kind of sneak in ways to play.  Maybe I could make some kind of outline for playing Hop Scotch in my living room.  I used to love to play Jacks (you should have seen old guy play)...I think I have some, somewhere.  Maybe I could take a piece of clothes-line rope and jump rope for several minutes a day.

Holy Mackerel!  Is there going to be enough time in the day?


No comments:

Post a Comment